More Ludwig Snare Samples - Drum Werks

DrumWerks

Apr 4, 2007
www.drumwerks.com
Here is an unreleased set of snare samples for an early 80's Ludwig Blacrolite (Black Galaxy) Snare:

http://www.drumwerks.com/1sneap/DrumWerksLudwigBlackGalaxy.zip

It's thorough and should give you more than enough to cherry-pick the sweetest hits.

Two things if you all have time (and more than gracious as everyone has been in the past):

1. Give us some feedback on this one - I'd liked it because it was different, but it may sound otherwise to you guys out there.

2. If it finds its way into one of your mixes, could you share it?

Have to get some new snares now!

thanks a lot for this one, it sounds really good, very full and snappy!

i made a TCI using 25 rows and 4 columns.
not sure if ths is correct, at least it sounds like it is :)

cheers
S.

Man, there are soooo many samples it's confusing when trying to make a TCI :loco: Wondering if you have a reference list that says what each file is supposed to be categorized as? For example the way Slate and others do with "crack" "hard" medium" "light" etc. I would understand if it's not possible being a free set, had to ask though :)

Haven't had a chance to try these out in a mix yet but the samples sounds pretty damn good.

Go by the file name numbers. The softest hits will be the lowest numbers, the full on hits are the highest ones. Generally, the last few (the highest numbers) are full hits with rim.

We always go at it with five velocity zones in mind:

pp - very soft
p - soft
mp - medium soft
mf - med. loud
ff - loud
fff - hardest you can hit the drum (begins to choke or is choking!)

I think you are safe to grab anything 1-10 as very soft, 11-20, soft, etc.

Yeah, that one does have a lot - it could definitely stand for some culling. But, I always would have a few extras than wanting more.

That help any?

That actually helps a ton. What I have done is load like 50 of them in Slate's Instrument Editor and sorted them by dB level and sound basically. I see the paid packs have a TCI already setup though which is really cool.

These samples do sound good. It's just the guessing game trying to figure out .TCI's that's a turn off. Seems like some of the sample packs the first two samples are soft then the next 10 are medium and the last are hard. At least I found that out on a few toms and a few kicks. But these do sound great. Can't wait to actually use them :) :kickass:

Soul - that sounds fine. I guess it depends on the use - how dynamic the snare is for the song, style, etc.

Did you manage to see how they sit in a mix?

had a quick test on a funky style mix i am working on.
just loaded up the snare and it sounded great instantly,
really snappy and full!

i'll post the track if it turns out good! :)

here's the TCI i made, 25 rows, 4 columns, 001-100 samples used.

DOWNLOAD@dropbox

cheers
S.

cheers
S.

I would love to post it if I finished making it :lol: It was quite a sea of samples to go through and I gave up actually. Looks like Soultrash will be uploading his though!

Drumwerks, thanks a lot for these free samples (the previous one was great too).

I've also made a TCI for this one, trying to respect the 6 velocity ranges you mentioned in your previous post : 6 rows, 19 colomns.
I created "Snare FULL" and "Snare SOFT" articulations too (because I think these samples can also sound very good for ghost notes).
I still have to try it in context, but can I post the .tci here ?

I'm working on a mix where I think it will sound great, and of course I'll post it here if that's the case.

TRUIE - it would be awesome for you to post those up. I am all for seeing how others do it when it comes to these. We have a lot of work to do to create TCI files, so would love to see what you've done.

And, as for a song with these in the mix, would love it!

Anyone of you guys out there Kontakt users? If so, we could always post freebies in .nki formats too.

I've bought all your packs (kicks, snares, kits), except for the atest ones, which I'll buy later....
have never used or even tried them thogh, cause I can't be arsed to create TCIs for them, lol.......
any plans on adding TCIs for them? would be totally ace!

Dammit, the more samples I listen to the more I'm liking them. I'm assuming the kick drum bundle pack comes with the metal and rock collection included? Mapex Maples full kit sounds great too!

Get me them TCI's and I'll be buying a couple of packs

Sounds like .tci files are a must.

OK, give us a few days and we can get these done. We will bundle the tci files with the raw .wav so it is a best of both words deal.