Snare wires

jangoux

May 9, 2006
I have a Pearl Ian Paice sig snare drum that is GREAT. I never good snare sounds so easily. The things is that no matter what tuning or what looseness i set the snare wires too, i never get a good wires definition out of this snare. This is very clear when drummers to more complicated snare patterns and some kinds of rolls. This snare drum has 22 strand snare wires - the question is, if i buy 'bigger' snare wires, like 30 or even bigger strands, will I have any side effects ? I mean, will i loose something I like on this snare or will i just gain wires sound ?

Btw, This snare has Remo Ambassadors on both heads.

Ivan

Yeah..but how much of a difference the number of wires makes? I can find here both el-cheapos wires and Puresound's, which are 10x the price of el-cheapos. Is that worth it?

Yeah..but how much of a difference the number of wires makes? I can find here both el-cheapos wires and Puresound's, which are 10x the price of el-cheapos. Is that worth it?

The extra wires help bring out the snares in the sound, giving the drum (in my opinion) a more explosive, wet sound that I love for recording. There is definitely a prominent difference between 42 and 20 strand wires.

There is a difference between the cheap wires (Gibraltar, etc.) and more expensive wires (like Puresounds). The Puresounds sound nice but they are too smooth/mellow for my tastes. For metal/hard rock the Tama or Gibraltar (or any other similar wires) will work fine.

Good thread, guys! Doing some tests now... certainly digging the 42 strand Gibraltar vs. Puresound Blasters. I'll see if I can get some clips up later in the week.