So, how can it be an EOS album without EOS?

Opethfan1980

Jaded and Gaunt
May 8, 2002
California, USA
sunsetfuneral.iuma.com
I dunno. I mean, I'm stoked about a new epic Swano track, but labelling it as Edge of Sanity seems kind of misleading to me. I mean, Swano was the key member of the band, but he WAS only one member. When I heard that there was going to be a new EOS album, a sequel to "Crimson" no less, I figured it to be an EOS reunion, which would be great. Now, it appears to be a band by comittee, with Dan doing most everything. Basically, a Swano solo album labelled as Edge of Sanity. That doesn't really seem fair to the other members of the band to me. A band is a cohesive unit, not an individual. Edge of Sanity had four members. This seems to be the equivalent of Roger Waters releasing an album under the Pink Floyd moniker, but without any of the other members of Floyd.

yeah... Dan, change name this album for "Moontower II" and labelling it as Dan Swano and friends. i want also EOS with old members and quote "The other guys made one album without me, so I have all the right to make one without them" sounds like teenager's blablabla... Take DREAD for growling!!! find theother guys and take them too ;)

Dan seems to think that this Crimson II project will get more attention if it is made under the EOS title, and since that name is available again now that rest of the guys fulfilled the fan's prophecies by failing without Dan, I don't see any problem with him using the name of HIS old band. Sure it will be a different lineup now, but Dan has been and always will be the only key ingredient to the band and so this seems totally rational and fair to me. This same concept can be seen all over the music industry, and for a long time now. How many members have been through Megadeth? Does anyone care as long as Dave Mustaine is there? No.

There are EOS songs where Dan did everything anyway (like on Infernal, except for the drums). I kinda got the feeling that towards the end of that bands life, it was Dan doing his own thing, and the other guys doing their own thing, then sticking all the songs on an album and calling it EOS. So I don't see this as an issue, the others did an album worth of songs, now Dan is doing his.

come on, don't throw shit at Dan... after all he IS Edge of Sanity... see what happened when the other guys did Cryptic on their own - it sucked big time, it was competent but nothing really outstanding... it's obvious the other guys needed a decent composer like Dan... the thing is I haven't heard them do anything musically interesting recently so I doubt they'd be joining the new Edge of Sanity... Benny is a good drummer but then he never really composed anything... and so on.. let's not turn this into a soap opera, after all , we want quality music..

by the way, I just dug out my copy of Crimson and it's still an amazing piece of metal, I hadn't listened to it in at least 2 years..

Obviously Dan was the most important member of EOS, but that doesn't MAKE him EOS. Take Moontower. A decent album, but it doesn't sound like an Edge of Sanity album. Same goes for Cryptic. A successful band is rather like a puzzle. Some pieces may be bigger and more important, but if you take out the smaller pieces, you may find it difficult to simply plug in another big piece to replace them. And, if you take out ALL the smaller pieces, leaving only the big piece, There's almost no way to get the puzzle to look the same as it did before.

You took the words right out of my mouth Metal88.

And Opethfan, "Obviously Dan was the most important member of EOS, but that doesn't MAKE him EOS. Take Moontower. A decent album, but it doesn't sound like an Edge of Sanity album."

No shit it doesn't sound like an EoS album. Good job fucktard. And no it wasn't a decent album....it's a fucking amazing piece of art.

Fuck the other guys. Dan IS EoS. I'm betting on Crimson II being better than anything else EoS every did (possibly excepting Crimson I).

LOL! you're all so funny ;) i'm Dan and EOS fan since "NOthing But..." (i guess almost all of you listen then Wham or Micheal Jackson), so don't tell me who wrote music :lol: a shame is that Dan didn't ask any member about "Crimson II". really, his quote sounds funny for me. it's like "it's my toy and i don't give it nobody". i thought that after "Evolution" war is over?

Thanatopsis123 said:
You took the words right out of my mouth Metal88.

And Opethfan, "Obviously Dan was the most important member of EOS, but that doesn't MAKE him EOS. Take Moontower. A decent album, but it doesn't sound like an Edge of Sanity album."

No shit it doesn't sound like an EoS album. Good job fucktard. And no it wasn't a decent album....it's a fucking amazing piece of art.

Fuck the other guys. Dan IS EoS. I'm betting on Crimson II being better than anything else EoS every did (possibly excepting Crimson I).

Word! Moontower is a masterpiece and Dan WAS Edge of Sanity when he was in the band, he wrote all the music. The rest of the lineup doesn't matter.

"No shit it doesn't sound like an EoS album. Good job fucktard. And no it wasn't a decent album....it's a fucking amazing piece of art.

Fuck the other guys. Dan IS EoS. I'm betting on Crimson II being better than anything else EoS every did (possibly excepting Crimson I)"

Don't be a little bitch. You disagree with my opinion. No reason to pitch a little piss fit. Moontower is, IMO, Swano's worst album. I understand that he loves it, and it's quite popular, but it doesn't have the same magic that EOS had. Not by a lot. The songs just aren't very strong compared with stuff like "Twilight," or "Elegy," or really any of the EOS songs from "Spectral Sorrows" through "Infernal."

You must be kidding, right? Moontower is better than the SS, Purgatory AND Infernal. Moontower is also far better than the first Nightingale release. Maybe it's time to open up your ears and take a listen.

But I also remember that this is coming from an Opeth fan, someone who wants "perfection" when it comes to making music, that or pure tedium.

Timmeth said:
You must be kidding, right? Moontower is better than the SS, Purgatory AND Infernal. Moontower is also far better than the first Nightingale release. Maybe it's time to open up your ears and take a listen.

But I also remember that this is coming from an Opeth fan, someone who wants "perfection" when it comes to making music, that or pure tedium.

Sue me for having different taste in music than you. I didn't like Moontower. The songs just didn't do anything for me. That's the best explanation I can give. It's nowhere NEAR the quality of any EOS release (aside from, of course, after Dan left the band).

As for your infantile attempt to discredit me for being an Opeth fan, I'm sorry that you feel as though you're above Opeth. They are one of my favorite bands, but I wouldn't call them perfect. Pain of Salvation's "Remedy Lane" is the closest thing to musical perfection I've heard.

Grow up and realize people have different taste in music than you.

Timmeth said:
I beliveve that more than 50% on the swanö board are opeth fans, I'm one of them for example. And that doesn't mean that I want perfection, at elast not always

Staffan said:
I beliveve that more than 50% on the swanö board are opeth fans, I'm one of them for example. And that doesn't mean that I want perfection, at elast not always

Yeah, I was joking... sorry for the misunderstanding...