so I just watched the movie SIGNS (spoilers)

oh yeah I wasn't bothered by that at all, I though Mel Gibson's character was fantastic. Everyone in that movie was fucking great. I have so much more respect for Joaquin Phoenix now too, after his 2-D performance in Gladiator.

Ok... first of all, I've been lurking this board for a while. :wave:

So anyway, I hated Signs. The religious stuff I didn't even notice, what got to me was the complete lack of any meaningful action or suspense, and the completely ridiculous helplessness of the aliens. It tried to create a mysterious and spooky atmosphere, but with little success for me. Then there's the aliens, they make no sense whatsoever. First, why would they ever attack in the middle of nowhere in the first place? Second, if they can come here from their distant (obviously, since no one has found it) home world, why can't they get into a simple boarded up house?

To sum up: http://maddox.xmission.com/signs.html

I thought it was a good movie, except for the fact that the alien at the end just stands there and takes getting his ass beat with bat, and does not retaliate.:Spin:

I saw this movie for the first time a little more than a week ago, and I was a little disappointed. It just didn't have the buildup and climax it was striving for. I was hoping for another "sixth sense" sort of ending that takes you completely by surprise, but this movie didn't have the suspense or the ending to fulfill that. And those "coincidences/not-coincidences" weren't all that remarkable. It all seemed sort of contrived, although the acting was pretty good. I guess I was just expecting too much.

And the alien getting brained with the bat is definitely the best part of the movie.

signs fucking ruled. i really want to see a mighty wind. i started to watch the scorpion king today but after a few minutes i shut it off. I also watched the last fifteen minutes of Sinful Temptations last night and was very much not interested although Cinexmax had this half hour show on called Best Sex Ever which got my attention.

but my friend chris showed me the movie super troopers today and that was really really awesome.

also i watched spaceballs yesterday and was very happy.

signs was awesome. i thought it was mediocre until like 75% through when i realised that i'd been thinking about it as an "alien movie" and having all these issues with the plot issues (yeah, like aliens not being able to escape from pantries and stuff) because i was missing the entire point of the film. it's like saying citizen kane was a bad sled movie.

I thought that the moment they actually showed an alien it crossed the line into cheesiness.

Oh, and I should ask... of those of you who've seen the movie, did anyone think that the aliens were there peacefully and were actually trying to help the inhabitants of earth? A friend who I saw it with was convinced that this was the case, and that the people just misinterpreted the aliens' presence. I have told him numerous times that he is wrong, but I'd like to know if anyone else had even considered this interpretation.

well I would say he was right except for the part where they KILL SCORES OF HUMANS WITH THEIR POISON WRISTS.

also now this is a spoilers thread.

If you didn't think this was a good movie you have no soul.

Yea, I guess I have no soul, cuz I definitely didn't feel that movie ever had any notable atmosphere or tension. At any rate, the appearance of the aliens on screen definitely ruined everything. It might've been decent if it had taken the angle I hoped it was going to, and never told us for sure if the aliens were real or not, leaving us to wonder if Mel Gibson and his family were just driven mad by isolation and despair. :tickled:

i liked Unbreakable but maybe that's because I was chatting during all the boring moments. Signs, however, was just plain bad.