So I played at Berklee today... pics

urinalcakemix

man who plays drum
Jun 7, 2003
Wallingford, CT
Visit site
I just wnated to share with you all my experience today, as it was probably one of my proudest moments of my young life. I performed with my schools Jazz ensemble at the Berklee College of Music High School Jazz Ensemble Festival in Boston today. I had 3 8 bar solos in one of the songs I was playing - Sammy Nestico's "The Joy of Cooking", which is a half funk, half swing song in simplest terms.

I played well, and after our performance, the judges were tallying up scores, writing comments, doing whatever adjudicators do, who were all Berklee professors in different areas of expertise.

After a few minutes, one of them comes up to us, and hands the director a certificate of congratulations for performing at the festival, and went through his spiel of thanking us, and he said finally, we would also like to present a Judge's Choice Award to one individual here today, and sure enough, yours truly was the recipient of this fine award! It was truly a shock, I was speechless for a long time, Im sure this day will be one of the proudest days of my life for many years to come. Now, time for the goods:

Heres my baby that I played the show on:
Berklee003.jpg

And heres the crowning piece:
Berklee014.jpg

I also managed to pick up at the B+N nearby:
Santana - III , and
Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender

AMBR said:
Way cool! Any photos of the performance?
Unfortunately no, we played in a conference room, with 5 judges, 20 people, and probably 80 empty chairs haha.

I loved the sound of my drums in that room, really boosted the low frequencies. Going from a wide open concrete storage room, to a much smaller, acoustically engineered room, it was a LOAD of difference.

I sounded good, only missed 2 minor things, which I guess didn't turn out to be TOO noticeable.

Congrats! I bet that you'd be a shoe in to get accepted at Berkley's College of Music! I'd like to hear you play some day!

This just gave me an idea. If Shane ever had a hard time filling one of the slots in the Pre-Party, one year, it would be nice if we could have a PP forum members open jam!

Unca Kev said:
Congrats! I bet that you'd be a shoe in to get accepted at Berkley's College of Music! I'd like to hear you play some day!

This just gave me an idea. If Shane ever had a hard time filling one of the slots in the Pre-Party, one year, it would be nice if we could have a PP forum members open jam!
It'd be a dream to be accepted to go to Berklee, I think my chances just got a LOT better with this award.

An Open Jam? Sounds a BIT like D.C. Cooper's set last year, when he had people sit in with him the whole set. I'd be so down on doing something like that next year, I'd LOVE the oppertunity to do that at PP!

:cool: Way 2 go, Dude!! My son just graduated from there 3 years ago (in Music Recording and Engineering). It's a GREAT school and he really learned a lot of great things there. KEEP ON ROCKIN'!!

Chris :headbang: