So I'm thinking about giving guitar lessons...

TheIllicitOne

Ik ben lekker...
Feb 21, 2006
los angeles
Well, due to the fact that I cannot find a job for the life of me, I've decided to start giving guitar lessons. I've got the basics planned out for the beginners lessons and I'm incorporating theory as well (of course it's flexible). After the students get use to the guitar and get some basic knowledge and coordination I plan on teaching stylistically from there. I know for a fact that I can commit to at least 8 hours a week for lessons, however, I'm having difficulty deciding what to charge. I'm willing to do 1/2 hour and full hour lessons but I have NO CLUE what to charge. I was thinking something like $20 for 1/2 hr and $30/hr. Does that seem reasonable for Beginner-Intermediate guitar lessons? Let me know what you guys think.

I live in Indiana and even here (assuming cost of living is lower than Texas) I've heard people charging up to 30 bucks for 1/2 hour and 50 an hour for general lessons. I'd suggest setting up some kind of package deal cause people love that kind of stuff, buy so many get X free, etc. Or if you're that hard up for some cash I'd say do a bulk pay in advance for cheaper or pay by the lesson for slightly more, that sort of thing seems to work in retail.

lesson pkgs
30min pkg [2hr - $80][4hr - $140]
60min pkg [2hr - $60][4hr - $100]

pay-as-you-go
30min for $25-30
60min for $35-40

Just some rough ideas off the top of my head, hope this helps man cause I have no idea what it costs to live in Texas like I mentioned before.
Rockin like Dokken :headbang:

How experienced are you at giving lessons? I think that should be your basis for what your fee is. I just started this past summer and only charged $10 per half hour just because I wanted to get started with it and figured if I was bad I may as well make it not cost a ton. But I was only doing it on the side for fun too. At school, guys are charging about $20 per half hour. I wouldn't pay that much to take lessons with any of them, to be honest. I don't even know how much I am paying for my classical lessons right now but my teacher is awesome and it is worth every penney.

I use to give free lessons to friends and family and they all seemed to like the way I did it, so I'm somewhat experienced. I'm just not sure how much to charge.

go for $15 per half hour. You figure if you can get students to fill up 8 hours that is 30 bucks an hour so that is $240 for 8 hours of work....pretty kick ass if you ask me. But it looks like you want to do this as your part time job or something so I don't know how that figure looks for you. But for an on the side thing that would be awesome pocket change.

I used to get about $15 a half hour. My only gripe is that kids would skip out on lessons frequently so maybe get paid upfront?

Yeah...request payment for the whole month at the beginning of the month. that way if they become slackasses and don't show up, you still have your $$$.

Thanks for all of the input you guys. I really appreciate it. I am going to charge $15 for a half hour and $30 for a full. Oh yea, and upfront payment is a must.