So tell me more about this Red Sparowes CD...

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Knowing my flawless tastes in music, would I dig it? Just got me a new job (YAY!) and I thought of celebrating by getting that CD, since I'm trying to expand my horizons a bit.

Also, what's everyone's take on Amber Asylum? Black Tape for a Blue Girl?

One more: Has anyone actually listened to Times of Grace and Grace at the same time, as they were meant to be heard? I'm gonna give it a try on Monday while the wife is at work (I don't start for another week) and I can blast all the speakers.

EDIT: Doomstripper, is that Tides CD kick ass or is a poor man's Pelican?

Thanks, compadres.

J. said:
Knowing my flawless tastes in music, would I dig it? Just got me a new job (YAY!) and I thought of celebrating by getting that CD, since I'm trying to expand my horizons a bit.

Also, what's everyone's take on Amber Asylum? Black Tape for a Blue Girl?

One more: Has anyone actually listened to Times of Grace and Grace at the same time, as they were meant to be heard? I'm gonna give it a try on Monday while the wife is at work (I don't start for another week) and I can blast all the speakers.

EDIT: Doomstripper, is that Tides CD kick ass or is a poor man's Pelican?

Thanks, compadres.

yes, i've listened to them both at once, had someone make me cd with both together once, so I wouldn't have to do the 2 system set up, those that method of doing it is gay and lying, and doesn't give the true impact.
but it was still cool to be able to have in my cd player. But oh it was long ago, I don't even remember how it sounded, but it was better than either one apart, I do concur.
.. but it could be worse, if you did that with something like Zaireeka, you can go straight to hell.

you won't like red sparrowes (not that I really know, but I think its a good guess)

Black Tape for a Blue Girl? the name screams emo, although I know better, but thats whats kept me away whenever I get a chance to listen.. though I suppose I've heard good things.. from those industrial/goth types..

tides wasn't a poor man's pelican before.. but they are from this moment on because I like being able to reference them as such

gotta say, those Red Sparowes samples did nothing for me.

and what's with all these Neurosis side projects being all soft and stuff. I enjoy Tribes of Neurot somewhat and can understand the formation of the project since, at the time, it was exactly the opposite of Neurosis. But man, Culper Ring, Blood and Time, the solo projects from Kelly and Von Till; these guys forgot their balls somewhere. ;)

BTfaBG is suppose to be similar to Dargaard and De Verbannten Kinder Evas, in the darkwave genre.

going back to Tribes of Neurot, anyone hear Adaptation and Survival yet? The entire 2CDs are "music" made strictly from insect noises. I'm curious, but I don't think I'd like it.

"There has been an upsurge of sorts for ambient, primarily instrumentally focused music with bands such as God Speed You Black Emperor and Chicago’s dirge masters, Pelican. Red Sparowes fall somewhere between God Speed’s angelic sparseness and Pelican’s enriched plutonium heaviness. Their music sits halfway between the waking world and the next where things become gray, viscous and barely visible.

The band is formed of some integral players in the sludge-art-rock world with Bryant Clifford Meyer (guitar) and Jeff Caxide (bass) of Isis fame; Josh Graham (guitar/vocals), the visual master and video director from Neurosis; Greg Burns (pedal steel) from Halifax Pier; and Dana Berkowitz (drums)."

J. said:
gotta say, those Red Sparowes samples did nothing for me.

and what's with all these Neurosis side projects being all soft and stuff. I enjoy Tribes of Neurot somewhat and can understand the formation of the project since, at the time, it was exactly the opposite of Neurosis. But man, Culper Ring, Blood and Time, the solo projects from Kelly and Von Till; these guys forgot their balls somewhere. ;)

BTfaBG is suppose to be similar to Dargaard and De Verbannten Kinder Evas, in the darkwave genre.

going back to Tribes of Neurot, anyone hear Adaptation and Survival yet? The entire 2CDs are "music" made strictly from insect noises. I'm curious, but I don't think I'd like it.

Check out the their new weapon "Made out of Babies".

I've said this before, but if you had Panopticon anywhere in your year-end list for 2004, you won't regret buying this. Unless you find post-rock boring and pretentious, but I can hardly accuse Red Sparowes of either (aside from those incredibly long song titles, but they add to the images induced by the album, so no real problems.)