So this is the PC I've decided to get (advice welcome!)

Dec 19, 2003
A while ago I posted the 'PC user thread' - as I've been planning on getting a new PC:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/533087-pc-user-specs-thread.html

After talks with the guy at the computer shop, this is what we've come up with for my budget:

- Intel Core i5 2.66ghz (£184)
- ASUS motherboard (£75)
- 4GB Ram DDR2 Corsair (£135) - apparantly the DDR2 is more compatible with other things than the DDR3 (Something about them not mass producing it yet)
- OS drive 500gb / AUDIO Drive - 500gb (£49 each)
- PSU: 750W Seasonic (£36)
- Graphics card: HD34350 ATI dual output (£34)
- 2x Texas Firewire ports (£15 -£30)
- USB: 2X front, 4x back
- Windows XP
- soundblaster audigy (not my main sound card, but handy for other things)
- Case: Probably an Amek or a decent metal case.

Was just wondering what you guys think of this? Ideally want to use it with cubase 5 and a firewire audio interface, I'll be wanting to run amp-sims and drum software with triggers.

Any last min thoughts on this welcome :)

Cheers dudes! :headbang:

Would the 'other things' for which the Audigy is handy include... well, anything that actually needs much out of the sound card? Don't spend money on that if the onboard sound will do.

Cite what you can with the DDR2/DDR3 thing, that's the first I've heard of it - the biggest issue is usually compatibility, but you can use DDR3 with the right i5 setup.

PCI slots are getting fairly scarce, so make sure your board will have the ports you need *and* you won't have anything important blocked off by a large video card.

Case: Antec. Don't ask, just do.

Consider getting an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Jeff

JBroll, the Audigy card is mostly for the 'record what you hear' fuction, which is handy for getting sounds off the net, editing midi and checking mixes on my PC speakers. So I'm not wearing out my moniter speakers all the time.

As for the DDR3 thing - I don't know anymore than the guy at the computer shop telling me that it is less compatible with other components in the computer (I have no idea what) than the DDR2, and that for the difference in price I wouldn't see a lot of difference in the performance (and that the price of memory has skyrocketed lately)? You probably will know more about this than I do?

And as I'm not a gamer, I won't require a flashy graphics card or anything like that.

Cheers, for all the replies so far guys!