My new computer is PISSING ME OFF!!

kickinwing65

¯\(°_o)/¯ - How do?
Dec 3, 2007
Petoskey, Michigan
So I built a new pc for xmas.

First thing I noticed, the motherboard has two floppy style power connectors located right under the video card slots, the manual briefly mentions them and says for use with two video cards. Didn't bother hooking them up since my psu only has 1 floppy connector...

First boot, wouldn't install Windows 7. Gets to the create a user screen and then reboots and hangs at 'boot from cd or dvd'

Installs Windows XP, seems fine.. My firepods decide to drop out every 20 seconds if your not playing back any sound. Also, in cubase I get the glitchy audio lag like the computer can't handle the playback at the set latency...

I think an AMD phenom II x4 955 Black Edition with 4gb of ddr3 and a WD Velociraptor 10k 150gb hard drive can handle a few plugins on cubase.. my old computer did.

I'd be a lot more pissed off if I wasn't on break from school.

If anybody has the same situation and could shed some light I'd more than appreciate it. I'm thinking of RMA'ing the board on monday. Specs:

DFI Lanparty DK 790FXB-M3H5
AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition
OCZ AMD Black Edidtion Ram (2x2gb) ddr3 1066
ATI Radeon 5770
Western Digital VelociRaptor 10k rpm 150gb
Antec 750Watt psu

I can't make any metal :cry:

Firepods (and most firewire interfaces in general) don't like anything other than Texas Instruments firewire chipsets and have dropouts/glitches as a result. If it has an onboard firewire, make sure that it's a TI chipset. If not and you're using a card, make sure that has a TI chipset.

I have two firewire cards and the one I'm using is TI and worked fine on the old computer, I'm gonna pop the other one in which is also TI but is made by adaptec, the old one is belkin.

First thing I noticed, the motherboard has two floppy style power connectors located right under the video card slots, the manual briefly mentions them and says for use with two video cards. Didn't bother hooking them up since my psu only has 1 floppy connector...

I believe you're talking about 6pin conectors, which most of new video cards use to get power, as the power provided from PCI-e isn´t enough. These new video cards are getting monstrous. I don´t even know how people use 2 or 3 of them via sli. I have a GTX260 and that thing is huge.

yea like narcossintese said these are used for drawing extra power from the motherboard - modern cards (such as sli setups) require a hell of a lot of watts to run and pci's just cant deliver that amount so it chains it through the motherboard from a different connection. ignore these connections unless you need to tap into them for something specific like a g-card or you have a few fans in chained up and you need to get some juice to them

but they're not floppy connectors whatsoever? they're 5v/12v connectors for the PCI bus, especially useful if you're using two graphics cards in SLI/Crossfire.

Hey Kickingwing,
I had some issues with my former Pc(I now own the same CPU & Rams & it fucking rocks...) and maybe some stuff is adjuvant for you?!:
- just put one RamBar in, and check them independent
-Try different slots
-Try an other harddisk, if possible(to check W7, maybe harddisk error?)
-I had the Firepod too, just Problems, driver faults, blue screens and freezes, many people have no probs, but I've reselled it very fast, I hate Pc issues!

I wish you the best, it's hard to deal with that shit, we all just wanna record and play, right?!;)

Greetz

Thanks for the info, I'll try messing around when I get some free time. I might ditch my firepods, they have been good for the longest time except for recently, I think the firewire jacks are breaking off the board since they didnt panel mount them.