So who likes DOWN? (Thoughts on DOWN).

ZANEX

Alone Within My Lunacy
Sep 4, 2001
PARIS/WINCHESTER,KENTUCKY U.S.A.
Visit site
O.K. Who likes the band DOWN( featuring Phil Anselmo/Rex Brown(Pantera); Pepper Keenan(C.O.C.), Kirk Weindstin(Crowbar) & Jimmy Bower(EYEHATE GOD)????. To me this band is a mixture of "Black Sabbath meets Led Zeppelin meets Lynyd Skynrd meets Bad Company &...other cool bands."

Good Stuff.

Zane

I've loved em since the first album, which is still their best. It's actually one of my favorite albums of all time.

I saw them live last Friday for the first time and I was completely impressed. I always figured they'd be good, but to be honest I've been sort of worried about Phil's vocals. But they sound great on the new album, so that gave me hope. He didn't let down live, he sang really fuckin' good. I'm really happy that they were actually a lot better live than I was kind of expecting them to be.

To me, Down is the best elements of all the members' collective main projects (aside from Phil). They're a great band that I'll enjoy forever and ever.

I like the new cd. The first one is always going to be hard to beat because they had forever to write it and at the time it was done with no plans to do anything other then tape trade with friends. No pressure made for better music. No it is everyone's biggest paycheck. So the pressure is on. All three are still good, but they will never be able to top that first cd.

I picked up NOLA when it first came out and have been enjoying them ever since, though I have not had the opportunity to see them live as yet. Phil is a great vocalist when he is in top form, but I've always wanted to hear Pepper contribute to the vocals as well.

NOLA is a classic. the others are OK.

people need to stop hating on Pantera, cuz it seems to be the cool thing to do.

they were a breathe of fresh air for metal and still have some of the best riffs ever known to man.

far beyond driven is better than ever album released in the 2000s.

To me, Down is the best elements of all the members' collective main projects (aside from Phil). They're a great band that I'll enjoy forever and ever.

Agreed. They're most awesome and their latest album kicks a lot of arse.
Actually, I'm pretty surprised at Phil's vocals, considering how much he's done to them over the years.

When I saw them live it was around 11am, and Phil was fucked. I mean, tanked. This spoiled it a tad, but it was still great entertainment.

the new Down is great. I didn't want to hear a NOLA two, but it's a great album too, especially I like On March The Saints and Beneath the Tides. who is not shivering from these songs, has to ask for new ears.

but Phil's voices is not the same of course, in the song called (Creeping Death) Pillamyd he's terrible.

Basically loving everything all of the Down guys were ever involved with. Maybe except that nearly unlistenable Viking Crown crap. Putting a tape recorder into a trash can and beating it up doesn't necessarily make a good (black metal) record. But <3 Down, Pantera, Superjoint, Eyehategod, COC, Crowbar, Necrophagia, Rebel Meets Rebel etc.