Software compatability with Vista 64bit

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Hi everyone. I am planning on getting a new computer and would like to get one with vista 64bit. My computer currently has windows xp. I was wondering if my vst plugins would work on vista 64bit. I have cubase sx3, waves plugins, curve eq, revalver mk3 and amplitube metal/svx. Would these still work? If they do, do I have to do anything different? I was planning on just backing everything up on my external hardrive and then plugging the hardrive up to my new computer and hoping everything still works fine. Also, would my firebox work okay? I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks.

p.s. If they wont work with the 64bit version would they work on the 32 bit version?

I just experimented with Vista 64 bit and went back to XP 32 bit. If you are using the version of SX3 I suspect you are, it doesn't work in 64 bit Vista and you will need to buy Cubase 5. Cubase 5 doesn't work in Vista 64, either, at all.. and while that was probably because of my particular hardware configuration or interface choice, it isn't exactly an isolated problem according to the Cubase forum. Cubase 4 was spotty and would frequently drop audio, wouldn't work properly without a full system reset, etc. There was no performance advantage switching to 64 bit Vista and 64 bit Cubase.. and 64 bit Cubase STILL did not work properly, and it is incapable of loading the vast majority of your VSTs since they are 32 bit.

So I gave up and went back to 32 bit XP. Everything works perfectly again.

I don't need one. It's just most computers come with it now. Looks like i'll stick with xp then. No point in upgrading my OS when I can't use my plugins. Thanks guys.

XP forever! Why do you need a 64 bit OS btw?

A 64 bit OS lets you use a shit ton of RAM. When I run in 32 bit XP my computer only "sees" about 3.2gb, but in 64 bit Vista, I could use all 4gb.. that's really about it.

A 64 bit OS lets you use a shit ton of RAM. When I run in 32 bit XP my computer only "sees" about 3.2gb, but in 64 bit Vista, I could use all 4gb.. that's really about it.

But in all fairness... Vista 64 is more of a resource hog than XP... so you're not really achieving anything groundbreaking by making the switch... so what if you get it to recognize more RAM? it uses more of your system resources just to operate the shitty OS... personally, I'm not moving past XP until windows stops piling "new" OS' on top of old ones...

But in all fairness... Vista 64 is more of a resource hog than XP... so you're not really achieving anything groundbreaking by making the switch... so what if you get it to recognize more RAM? it uses more of your system resources just to operate the shitty OS... personally, I'm not moving past XP until windows stops piling "new" OS' on top of old ones...

bingo.. Cubase performed worse on Vista 64. MS keeps pushing back the switch to a 64 bit only OS and so developers are totally half-assing their software and drivers. Even though 64 bit OSes have been out for a few years now, moving to one still counts as early adoption and comes with an endless amount of crashes, incompatibilities, and since Vista is so inefficient, a performance hit instead of increase.

do most plugins still work though on vista 64 bit? It's just most computers i've been looking at to buy come with vista 64. I don't want to have to buy windows xp separately and then uninstall vista and install xp after buying a new computer. I don't have much money to spend on a new computer as it is and having to spend additional money on xp after buying the comp would suck. Also, would there be a huge difference between buying a dual core over a quad core(like I said, I don't have much money) Either way it would be a big step up from the comp I have now( amd athlon 3800, 2 gigs of ram).

Plugins just depend on your DAW. Everything works in 32 bit Cubase, but 64 bit Cubase uses a wrapper to let you use 32 bit VSTs in the 64 bit environment. The wrapper isn't compatible with many plugins though.

32 bits all the way!!!:loco:

The last 3 weeks I installes XP (sp3), Vista and Windows 7, all in both 32bit and 64 bit. I ended up in XP 32bit.
I have Sonar 8 (32/64 bit), i7-920 with 6 Gb of RAM.
Although I now only can use 3 GB of ram, everything workes now.

Loads of problems with every 64bit OS. Driver issues, but also plugins not working properly (or at all).