circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
SOIHADTOSHOOTHIM – Alpha Males and Popular Girls
Crucial Blast Records – CBR48 – November 8th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

sihtsh.jpg

Seems like Blondie, Napalm Death, Melt Banana, and Genghis Tron (labelmates) keep getting thrown around in reference to SOIHADTOSHOOTHIM’s sound, and rather than interject my own opinions regarding similar artists, I'm going to stick with what I’ve been given. Trying to pinpoint an exact match for this five-piece is nearly impossible, and the more I listen to Alpha Males and Popular Girls the more I’m convinced that it can’t be done. At least, I don’t want to be the one to try. Still, these guys and a girl are about as spastic and energized as anything I’ve heard, plus anyone who has the audacity to unite so many disparities into one fucked-up whole has my endorsement just on principle.

Sadly, Alpha Males and Popular Girls is more intriguing than it is flooring. That is, it didn’t really fulfill the ever-present need that a fantastic slab of music often can, but I honestly felt enriched after leaving the forty-minute disc alone to twirl in its own craziness. As if you couldn’t decipher from the descriptions above, there are about 380920393 styles of music (seriously: I counted) converging here. Whereas the first couple minutes of the opening number – “People Hugging and Football” – is filled with dissonance and punctuated with the vocalist’s wails, the song is truly heightened at the 2:15 minute mark when the grooves hit. Damn. “Cadavertising” commences with an unmistakable Genghis Tron feel, while “John Cleese and the Fountain of Youth” jumps headfirst into synth-heavy, poppy emo. The cleverly-titled “King Diamond in the Rough” throws a wrench into the machine that’s controlling the tempo, as the aforesaid is predominantly slow and doomy. The remainder of the album is as varied as anything I’ve mentioned, and the closer is surprisingly coherent – at least when held up against the psychotic compositions leading up to it.

It’s not enough to listen to just one clip of SOIHADTOSHOOTHIM; there’s so much more hiding within the folds of Alpha Males and Popular Girls. While I can distribute props to the quintet for their adventurous natures and ability to act upon them, I cannot however give the record a definitive thumbs up as far as purchasing is concerned. SOIHADTOSHOOTHIM are, perhaps, crafting the sort of eclecticism that Crucial Blast Records are known for, but it’s not yet quite up to speed with what other groups (The Mass, Totimoshi, Genghis Tron) have been penning recently. This is undoubtedly interesting and chock full of humor, though, and Crucial Blast is a fine company. Even if I don’t necessarily find some of their output to be essential, I am always stupefied by its uniqueness.

7.5/10

Official Crucial Blast Records Website

This made my head hurt. The girl has got a fine voice but it's too bad the vocal lines are so clunky and uncatchy. They try to compare her to Debby Harry of Blondie but Blondie always had super-catchy vocal melodies. Not so here. A couple of moments of interest but none of it hangs together.