circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Soilent Green – Confrontation
Relapse Records – July 19th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

6644_216.jpg

I don’t understand myriad things about Confrontation by Soilent Green. For instance, I can’t comprehend the logic behind putting 100 tracks on an album, and then naming only fifteen of the songs, seemingly, at random. Perhaps I’m being too critical, because either way Confrontation is a great exemplification of Louisiana-bred sludge.

As the previous sentence implies, Louisiana – as a region – has an immediately recognizable sound, and bands such as Acid Bath, Eyehategod, and Crowbar have helped to popularize their geographical location. Soilent Green, on a similar note, have thrown logs on the fire as well due to the much-heralded A Deleted Symphony for the Beaten Down. Four years later, Confrontation finds the group touting what they always have. In essence, this record is sludgy, gritty metal. Falgoust’s vocals are swampy and hoarse, which is aptly fitting, and the instrumentation is quite a few notches above average, though it’s apparent that the quintet aren’t concerned with wowing anyone through virtuoso-esque wankery. However, I listened in awe during the beginning of “Southern Spirit Suite,” cause Buckley’s drumming has a marching band vibe, yet it retains enough pizzazz to be interesting. Needless to say, since Confrontation was penned by Louisianans, it stands that the aforesaid is chock full of powerful grooves.

This disc served as my Soilent Green inauguration, and I’m pleased to report a general likeness for the band. The package’s organization went awry somewhere down the line, unfortunately, though its splotches don’t deter from its likeability. Another solid output from Relapse Records; do they ever have an off year?

8/10

Official Soilent Green Website
Official Relapse Records Website

Really looking forward to hearing this album.

By the way, it's not Soilent Green's fault that your promo cd features 100 tracks, it's standard Relapse promo policy. ;)

The Carved Yoke said:
Really looking forward to hearing this album.

By the way, it's not Soilent Green's fault that your promo cd features 100 tracks, it's standard Relapse promo policy. ;)

Hmm. I've gotten Relapse promos before that weren't like that. :err: Oh well, thanks for the clarification. :loco: