soldering a pickup directly to the output jack!?

I have guitar without a tone pot hooked up. Because I am lazy and wouldn't turn it down often anyway. I never a/b compared with and without the tone knob.

When I first put an emg 81 in it the guitar was super bright. So bright it was not good for anything. So I put an 85 in it and it sounds cool now.

I wonder how much of the excessive brightness with the 81 was coming from not having a tone pot. The guitar has a thick maple top also, so that could have played a big part too.

I've always wished I could have my pickups going directly to my jack but cant as I use my volume knob for gain control.
I've noticed huge differences in removing tone controls from my guitars though.

Karl Sanders goes directly from pickup to output jack with nothing between. Uses his clean channel (vol on zero) as a mute.

scraping carbon off, push-pull pots,
a bypass switch, all good ideas but
i do not want any pots or swiched on
the top of this guitar.

thinking about placing the pot/switch somewhere
else, thinking about the place where usualy the
back strap button is placed but this would look silly i think :lol:

cheers
S.

scraping carbon off, push-pull pots,
a bypass switch, all good ideas but
i do not want any pots or swiched on
the top of this guitar.

thinking about placing the pot/switch somewhere
else, thinking about the place where usualy the
back strap button is placed but this would look silly i think :lol:

cheers
S.

you could do switching with these pickup rings and not have any other switches on the guitar:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend....83292&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=414307586

For a rhythm guitar its quite a good idea for the bridge pup to be hard wired to the output jack .
Pots can deteriorate over time anyway plus all that extra wiring has the potential to cause noise .
I dont see the brighter sound as much of a problem , easily EQ'd .

If I remember correctly, bridge pickup wired to a volume knob, directly to the output jack was a common setup for a lot of shredder types back in the day (anything to squeeze just a hair more gain out of a guitar). Eddie Van Halen had this setup. I think I read somewhere that Jerry Cantrell did this mod to some of his guitars back in the day too.

a little update:

i've almost finshed my first DIY guitar and relized the idea!

it's not soldered yet i just connected the pickup to the jack by
twisting the wires around the jack pins :D

it's working and it does sound good. the guitar is made all out
of maple what gives it this extra bit of "sharpness" very interesting
sound. if you want to see the guitar CLICK HERE

cheers
S.

This was going to be my suggestion.

Suhr has this awesome circuit they call a "Blower" circuit which is activated by a push-push button just behind the volume knob on some of their axes; what it does is override whatever the pickup switch/tone control positions are set to and give you the signal of the bridge humbucker hard-wired to the output jack.

You can go from rolled back volume + neck pickup, to full-blown bridge bucker and back with the push of a single button.

Im fairly familiar with this feature after spending a bit of time with the Guthrie sig, and the difference with the volume and tone on full on the bridge pickup bs blower switch in was quite noticeable to me.