circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Solefald – Red for Fire: An Icelandic Odyssey Part I
Season of Mist – SOM110 – October 18th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

solefald.jpg

Solefald aren’t the most approachable band in the universe, but I had no doubt in my mind that Red for Fire: An Icelandic Odyssey Part I would be a worthy addition to the group’s stellar catalog. So yes, I did enter their latest release with a host of expectations, which they met at every turn. Amazingly, and even more to weigh, is that this first part of a two-part series doesn’t have a problem standing alongside brilliant works such as In Harmonia Universali and The Linear Scaffold.

Course Lazare (Borknagar, Age of Silence, Asmegin) and Cornelius (Sturmgeist) are out in full force on this one, as it doesn’t differ too much from its immediate predecessor, namely In Harmonia Universali. While Red for Fire: An Icelandic Odyssey Part I is lyrically focused on “the pagan heritage of the Northlands,” the music supposedly drifts more into Viking metal territory than previous incarnations. Either way, the trademark Solefald sound is still the clincher, here. I was a bit dismayed at first, because “Sun I Call” is one of the slower numbers on the new album, but my dissatisfaction died quickly due to “Sun I Call” being overwhelmingly emotive and beautiful. And, after about four minutes of serenity, the tempo accelerates thus breeding familiarity. Needless to say – in addition to the usual instrumentation provided by Lazare and Cornelius – Sareeta (Asmegin, Ram-Zet) and Kostol (Pantheon I) give us violin and cello musings, respectively. Fans of the saxophone won’t be left in the cold, either, due to the fact that it appears in “Sun I Call.”

If you were a bit disgusted by Red for Fire: An Icelandic Odyssey Part I beginning with a lazier tune, then “Survival of the Outlaw” will undeniably quell any complaints you may have. The hooks and rhythms are to die for. “Where Birds Have Never Been” halts the speed a bit, but is just as heavy as its brethren. For the first minute or so, its plodding pace really helps lure the listener in, and speaking of hooks, the technique used on “Where Birds Have Never Been” does indeed remind me of fishing: once your tongue [attention] has been hooked [captured], resistance will only serve to tucker you out. The remainder of the album happily plays with the dichotomy of the placid (“White Frost Queen”) and the sinister (“There is Need”), with the tragically majestic being something like “Crater of the Valkyries.” “Sea I Called” brings us full circle, to a certain extent, and is the musical closer though it doesn’t truly mark the end of the record.

At close to an hour, Red for Fire: An Icelandic Odyssey Part I is yet another reason why those who aren’t with Solefald now, should be. While I don’t like this individual effort as much as 2003’s In Harmonia Universali, it’s still light-years ahead of many other endeavors out there. Perhaps it goes without saying that I’m very biased when it comes to Solefald, but I’m not above being disappointed. Case in point: Age of Silence’s Acceleration was my favorite album of 2004; Complications – Trilogy of Intricacy did practically nothing for me, especially when compared with the previous full-length. Still, Solefald continually prove their worth with each passing album, of each passing year.

Did you actually read all that? Cool.

9/10

Official Solefald Website
Official Season of Mist Website

i think this album is a massive letdown and, to be blunt, a pile of shit. i had big expectations for this one. there isnt a single song on the record that stands out for me, and the vocals are very weak, as previously stated.