Solo Bedroom Guitarist Project - Feedback much appreciated

LunyAlex

New Metal Member
Jun 8, 2011
Good Day
I'm rather new to these forums, so I tip my hat to you in salutation.

Long story short I've been writing songs for a few years now and started being serious about my mixing about a year ago.
I've sort of been trying to write an album, slowly but surely, and now I've gotten to a point where I'd like to take in as much feedback as possible on what I have, so I can form a final vision of what this will sound like when it's done.
Here's a sampler complication I've put together. Some of the takes aren't final, but that's irrelevant I guess.

I would really appreciate any type of feedback, critique, opinion on it, and maybe tips on how to improve.
Here's a soundcloud link as well:

I Used:
Jackson SLSMG > Line 6 UX2 > REAPER > Overloud TH2/Pod Farm 2 > EQ
Superior Drummer 2.0 + The Metal Foundry
Spectrasonic Trilian Bass
Shure SM57 for Vocals

TL;DR
I'd appreciate any feedback (mixing, music) on the above selection of samples.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say you should work on 'humanizing' your drums more. Then try and achieve a better balance of the drumkit as a real drummer playing would sound. From there drum tone wise I personally can't stand superior but I'd go for a fatter sounding snare personally. In terms of guitar sound also it's cool for the gear that you have and POD farm to me at least always sounds like POD Farm but you've got a fairly decent sound out of it. You can always play around with sharp cuts in certain frequency ranges with the drive parts to take out some of those digital buzz frequencies.

So that is my 2 cents :)

and now if you have some time do gimme some feedback on my stuff :)

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...elp-brother-out-please-need-mix-feedback.html

good mix
cutting some Hi freqency in the guitar's would sound better :)
and the vocal is over powering the mix cut low end around 100-120
and compress the fuck out of it.. too much Dynamic
Overall not bad

Thanks for the comments!

Mind if you expand the concept of humanizing the drums? Like, subtle velocity and timing offsets?

listening on laptop speakers , hihats are really too loud, thats what i can tell from here

@LunyAlex - Yes definitely work on the velocity changes. Like when you play double kicks the left foot is never as strong as the right foot. Same way the fills will never be as loud as a single snare hit. Blast beats are always softer hits and so on and so forth. Basically you need to think like a drummer and kind of analyse how it would sound if played and with what intensity each stroke would be. I wouldn't suggest timing offsets because it will become very messy. But definitely work on the velocity of each hit :)

I think the sound of your mix is fantastic! I just don't like the vocals, but that is subjective. Do you mind sharing what amp you used in Podfarm? And did you use IRs? Thanks.

Thank you!
Pod Farm wasn't the main plugin sadly. Usually when it was used it was with the Spinal Puppet amp, and it's own IRs.

Mostly used Overloud TH2 (I personally found it the best amp sim to my tastes) with the Randal T2 model (Default IRs).