Solo/Rhythm Guitar Sound Difference

Deathlef

The God That Failed
Sep 30, 2003
Germany
Visit site
Hey guys,

as previously announced, I'm currently in the studio. We already started doign the rhythm guitars. I'm doubling every part (at some parts, there are 4 tracks). Ok, but now we came to the point of recording some solo parts.
How do you change your tone when it comes to soloing? The actual sound I get for the rhythm sections is quite cool, but I don't feel good when I record some solos. For your information, I'm using a Marshall head & Cab (sorry, but i forgot the model :cool: ) . In fornt, there's a Boss SD-1 Overdrive.

At first, how dou you change your amp settings and furthermore, how do you change it in the later mix? Is it reccomended to put more Gain into it or less? More bass/mids/treble or less? :err:

I'd appreciate some tips from you guys! Thanks in advance.

Regards

Im affraid the only real approach I have to setting up a guitar amp to record is turn it till it sounds good. Get the amp sounding right in the room then put the right mic in the right place. Again no rules just whatever sounds good. Ive just been getting good results from a 421 on the cab. depends how you want it to sound. When I come to mix, if Ive managed to record the right sound in the first place is filter off the frequecies im not using. For example theres no sub in hi hats so filter off the sub and get a cleaner hats channel. Bit vague I know but hope it helps!!

I recollect several months ago a post somewhere in these threads where Andy suggested (during mixdown) giving a slight boost around 2K on your solo track. I've used that as a general rule several times and have come out pleased as it brings out the solos nicely.

I also like to roll off the low end a bit extra as well even though you lose a little bit of fullness to the sound....

You also may want to try the following on your solo track: less distortion from your amp and more distortion from your overdrive. If I'm recording w/ POD I'll do that: turn down the amp gain and raise the gain on the tube screamer. Maybe lower the drive a little on the TS as well. HTH.

I usually boost the mids on the amp's eq control, and roll off or increase the highs, depending on what u want. Mids over a metal sound tend to stand out and sound great.

Thanks guys.

Yesterday I've double tracked the main rhythm-part. After that I doubled the second rhythm guitar. After hearing all 4 tracks at a time, I was kinda disappointed. It's quite muddy and not very clear. The main rhythm-parts are panned hard and the second rhythm-parts are panned 80 right and left. Do you think I should make a mroe serious change with the EQ? I'm not able to post sound samples at the moment, but I'll let you know when I've finished the sound.