some metallica news

flying_whale

Rome 64 C.E.
May 17, 2006
Seattle,Wa
www.myspace.com
Legendary producer Rick Rubin (SLAYER, SYSTEM OF A DOWN, AUDIOSLAVE, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS), who was named "Producer of the Year" at this past weekend's Grammy Awards, spoke to MTV.com about his work with METALLICA on their much-anticipated follow-up to 2003's "St. Anger", tentatively due before the end of the year via Warner Bros.

"I saw [the warts-and-all METALLICA documentary 'Some Kind of Monster'], and it made me really nervous," Rubin said. "Then we started working, and it's the opposite direction of that. They're really productive, really communicative — it seems like they really like being in the room together. It's a great process. They say they're more excited than they have been in a long time about making music. We're going to start recording in March. I asked them not to reinvent themselves so much as to make a defining album, like the purest of what METALLICA is. That's the aim, so we'll see what happens."

METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich told Rolling Stone magazine that Rubin said that he wants to make the group sound "like the METALLICA that made them METALLICA without going backward" — and that he's doing it by challenging old habits.

"He's questioning what key we should play in," Ulrich told Rolling Stone. "We've played in E flat since the beginning of the '90s. Nobody questioned it. All of a sudden, Rick is going, 'Maybe the stuff has more energy and Hetfield's voice sounds better in E.' He's forced us to rethink big-picture stuff, something we haven't done in years."

Rubin also insisted that METALLICA rehearse and learn the material until, as Ulrich puts it, "we can play these songs in our sleep, standing on our heads. "With Bob [Rock, METALLICA's longtime producer], we'd go into the studio when we had some concrete ideas. But Rick wants us to take care of all the creative elements first. He wants us to capture these songs in a recording environment instead of creating them there."

from http://roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=67026

i hope this is true NOT in the sense lars said that st.anger will be complex like justice

Considering Rubins Track Record with Slayer and all I think this will be a good wakeup call for them. I wouldnt expect the Double Bass, Poly Rythmic, Harmonius animal they were in the Puppets, Justice days, but i would think they are going in more a Black Album direction, which isnt COMPLETELY horrible.

Watching them play all the old pupptes stuff this past summer at Rock am Ring really showed me why Metallica has changes so much, they just dont have the fire anymore. Lars cany play any of the old stuff, he doesnt have the endurance, James still can play the stuff but he cant sing it, thats the thing that really changed.

Hammet can still play the stuff, jamez can still play the stuff. but lars cant.

Hetfield definitely killed himself by taking vocal lessons.

Nuff Said

Actually Hetfield had to take lessons because he blew his voice out.
He mentions this during that horrid some kind of monster movie and in the Classic Albums black album documentary.

Watch that Classic Albums series and see him arguing with Lars during rehearsal. Lars is whining that Hetfield isn't singing and Hetfield tells him point blank that His voice is completely gone and he can't sing. Pretty funny stuff.

Actually Hetfield had to take lessons because he blew his voice out.
He mentions this during that horrid some kind of monster movie and in the Classic Albums black album documentary.

Watch that Classic Albums series and see him arguing with Lars during rehearsal. Lars is whining that Hetfield isn't singing and Hetfield tells him point blank that His voice is completely gone and he can't sing. Pretty funny stuff.

Is that the part where he goes, "I want you to sing it with vocals." "You want to hear it with vocals? Go sing it."

"No seriously, buddy...pal...my throat is really fucked up right now. I wouldn't ask you to do a drumroll if your arm fell off."

That part? That was in the studio of the making of the black album in 1990...before he blew his voice out for good. He just had a sore throat. He blew his voice out completely playing "So What" at a concert several years later.

crazy info bout his voice going. yeah vocal lessons will help provided he's learning how to really scream and use rasp properly, but most likely he's learning how to sing country or some crap.

and if your voice blows out why would you continue playing? I would have NO problem if they hired some guy to fill in for vocals. Hetfield can still play guitar well.

Is that the part where he goes, "I want you to sing it with vocals." "You want to hear it with vocals? Go sing it."

"No seriously, buddy...pal...my throat is really fucked up right now. I wouldn't ask you to do a drumroll if your arm fell off."

That part? That was in the studio of the making of the black album in 1990...before he blew his voice out for good. He just had a sore throat. He blew his voice out completely playing "So What" at a concert several years later.

That is basically it, I love that part. You have to remember it just doesn't happen one time and that is it, usually it is a process that happens over time. Hurt your voice, it gets bettr, hurt it gain, gets better, hurt it again etc. Then one day you hurt it and it doesn't come back.....

That was probably when it dawned on him he really needed help.

Of course now there are coaches who help with " modern " singing. Even in 1990, which isn't that long ago really I personally had never heard of a voice coach to help with such things. Maybe others had back then.

But the fact still remains, his voice went back in the day and will probably never be like it was.

I like Nevermore...

I was listening to the black album the other day for the first time in years and the whole time I was thinking to myself... "These riffs totally don't suck. Imagine what they'd sound like with a badass modern drummer like Chris Adler or Gene Hoglan or even Pete Sandoval."