Some n-Track help please

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Steve suggested n-Track to me so I could record my off-kilter doodlings on the pooter -- I used to use something else and it worked fine. But that was a few months ago. Now, I get sound coming through my speakers ok (running the lead direct from the guitar to the line-in socket), but it's not recording anything :(

Line-in isn't muted in the recording properties...

Any tips or hints?:cry:

Heya Mark.

First, I personally think Steve led you down the right path with N-Track. For the price, it is hard to beat the functionality of it...and its so darn easy to use.

Now about your problem. It could be several things..so you kinda have to play around until you find out. You noted line-in was not muted..so thats out. I don't know what kind of sound card you have, but some sound cards (like my soundblaster platinum 5.1) asks you to pick a recording source as well. How that is done differs from card to card. You need to make sure this is selected properly as well. Easiest way to tell if the recording source is set correctly is to just open the 'sound recorder' that comes with windows. (programs->Acessories->Entertainment). Hit the record button and see if your guitar signal records there. If it does, its a problem with N-track.

In N-track, make sure the recording VU-Meter is up. Also make sure the monitor button is pressed. Then start playing. If the VU-meter does not register, then your N-track prefs are set wrong. If it does register, you should just be able to hit the record button.
There is a 'settings' button on the VU-Meter as well. Make sure everything under that button is set correctly.

Otherwise, it would be new to me. You may have to go into N-track preferences and see if there is something there that is haywire. Such as wave input devices (you should see your soundcard)...etc. Maybe Steve can shed more light.

Hope this helps you out. Let us know.

Well, Rabs pretty much covered that one. :)

Like he said, step one is to make sure that your Windows Mixer settings are correct.

The next thing I'd check is in N-track's preferences settings to be sure that it recognized your sound card properly.

Check these things out Mark, and let us know in here, and we'll go from there. I'm sure we can get it working. Haven't failed with that yet. :)

Got it working :) 'Stereo Mixer' in my recording options (windows sound options) had to be muted :confused: Weird. But now I can record my out-of-tune horribleness :D