Something really different for me: & 100% acoustic drums

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey guys,

Got a funk-rock mix on the go at the moment. Here's a 2 minute clip if you're interested.
CLIP HERE

Got to do things a little differently this time, not my usual death&destruction type stuff. Hell, I even got to try out a mid/side stereo config for the room mics on the drums... I really like how those turned out.

Anyway, comments are always appreciated.

-0z-

Thanks man! Yeah, I've still gotta EQ the room sound a bit to tame those cymbals. The lead & all guitars were a Fender Tele with a Seymour Hot Rail (love that tone) and amps were a Recto for the clean, and believe it or not, a Peavey Windsor for the lead.

Absolutely loving the Mid/Side stereo array, though. Used a Studio Projects c4 omni for the mid & an Apex Ribbon for the sides. That's the key to the 3d sound... well that & a Presonus Digimax 96. The limiters on it add an awful lot to the room mics.

-0z-

BTW, sorry it's not metal guys, but a good engineer should be able to switch genres with ease.

First of all, I should mention that this to me is NOT funk (which I'm actually something of a fan of) - rather, I would call this "crappy old-white-guy reggae rock," cuz I certainly can't see the likes of Kool and the Gang, James Brown, George Clinton, etc. churning out schlock like this :lol:

HOWEVER, you had nothing to do with that - what you did have to do with is the fantastic production, well done! The snare especially sounds absolutely fantastic, and I love the bass as well (how did you track it?). I know it's been mentioned before, but the hi-hat really is piercing; if you mic'ed it individually, I really would recommend a high-shelf cut. Also, it may just be my metal sensibilities creeping in, but I have a bit of a hard time hearing the kick, and think it could use a bit more attack; also, the guitars I feel could come up a bit more. Oooh, love the reverb on the clapping/snapping part. And the solo sounds pretty good, and I was actually totally gonna guess the Windsor before I ever read your post confirming it. :) I've actually never liked the Hot Rails, though, and this confirms it - too ratty and piercing for my tastes (and that includes for metal), but that's just personal preference. Vocals sound great too; what mic did you use?

I should mention that for a genuine M/S arrangement I'm pretty sure your "Mid" mic has to have a cardioid pattern, but clearly the results can't be faulted, so screw it!

http://www.wikirecording.org/Mid-Side_Microphone_Technique

I learned it out of Recording magazine & they said use an omni for the mid. Cardioid can get real bright in my drum room. Omni's tend to soften the cymbals a bit.
...but as you can see, according to the wiki, there's no hard & fast rule for the mid mic. I only recently got a pair of mics with extra capsules (EVERYONE should get some omnis. Sooooo cool!) & I've always wanted to try this technique. Maybe I'll grab another ribbon & try that: Dual figure 8's... ...that will definitely cut down on the cymbal hash.

I went with this technique as my drum room is very long & I can't quite get a spaced pair wide enough. ..sounds a little goofy. M/S technique really allowed me to add some ambiance without destroying the image created by the overheads.

Here's a pic of the mics:
msmics.jpg

The snare.... where do I start with this? It's a 1974 5" steel Tama Imperialstar. I borrowed it off the guy who works next to me on the line at Chrysler. He plays in a classic rock cover band, is a huge Neil Pear fan, & was complaining it was 'too cracky' for gigs. I asked to borrow it to try it out: He's not getting it back! :)
The insane thing is, it has one of those crazy "parallel snare" throwoffs & still had the original beat-to-hell snares on it. Thankfully puresound makes a replacement! It took a little while for them to come in, but once they did, damn!
The other thing I learned: Back the snares off! Let them rattle. If you tighten the snares too much (as my old drummer from long ago insisted & taught me to do so) you'll choke the transient of the drum. That & you'll never hear ghost notes, or will be able to play the drum expressively.
I've really gotta thank Steven Slate for bringing this to my attention: I was messing with his outstanding sample set & thinking to myself "damn, there's an awful lot of sustain on those snares, I wonder if there's something to this."
So, I tried it on my own stuff, & bingo! There's the transient attack I've been looking for!

Bass: Fender Jazz, with a Peavey Max 450 Bass head, and a Peavey TVX 410 bass cab with the horn dialed in about half way. Miked with a Studio Projects C1 about 2 feet back placed halfway between the horn & the woofer. Then into a Great River MP2NV & EL Distressor.
Max-700-lg.jpg

Peavey_410TVX-2.jpg

Vocals: We tried a few vocal mics, & wound up going with my old Rode NTK (first gen, has a Phillips tube!) & a distressor in Opto mode. Oh yeah, they're not old guys. They're all 17.

Thanks man!

BTW, funny Metaltasic mentioned "Kool & the Gang." I was checking out "Jungle Boogie" & loved the vocal reverb. ...That's where I got the idea for this verb!

-0z-

Oh yeah, one last thing occurred to me: I mixed a lot of this while listening in mono. ...Something I haven't done in years. If it sounds good in mono, it should sound great in stereo.

....and as for "schlock." The song was written for a cock-tease who was leading on the drummer.