Sonata Arctica w/Martyrd - The Canceled Nightwish Show (9-27-08)

Tramz

OSA Council Member
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island, New York
I've been in a slump lately. Regulars at the OSA may have noticed that i haven't exactly posted much in recent times, let alone any concert updates. I haven't even felt like going to the concerts (and for the most part, haven't). I did go see Opeth earlier this month, and although they were just about as good as always, i had a pretty lousy time. I didn't even really want to go to this concert, even less so when Nightwish had to cancel, but man am i glad that i did.

For starters, i have not seen an unknown (at least to me and most people there) opener electrify a crowd the way Martyrd did since Operatika was introduced to the New York scene at BB Kings a few years ago. You would think an old school style thrash metal band would not find a home with a power and prog crowd, but almost everyone, myself included, ate it up. They were really good and really fun. I even enjoyed the mosh pit, and if you know me, you know i normally hate such things. If you dig thrash, keep an eye on these New York locals. They have serious potential.

3b25_Martyrd.jpg

Martyrd

Soon, Sonata would appear. Now last time i saw them was with Firewind, and i remember saying how i thought Firewind upstaged them. Well as enjoyable as Martyrd may have been, that was not the case this time. The energy was there from both the band and the fans. Of course it didn't hurt that the Nightwish gang came out for a minute at the start of the set. The crowd went justifiably insane. Here is the set list and some pictures:

0336_Nightwish.jpg

Nightwish comes out to talk about their disappointment at being unable to play. See the end of my post for a link to a video of this.

9e19_Setlist.jpg

776a_Sonata.jpg

Tony was a bit.. insane. Gotta love it.

f656_Sonata1.jpg

Go, Henrik!

847c_Sonata3.jpg

Elias was on fire, as usual.

3c8b_Sonata4.jpg

47d8_Sonata5.jpg

df96_Sonata6.jpg

7a08_Sonata10.jpg

Pretty blurry, but their crazy expressions are hilarious.

8487_Sonata2.jpg

One more of Tony singing.

7d11_Sonata7.jpg

Tuomas comes out and the crowd goes really nuts.

863e_Sonata11.jpg

Tuomas and Sonata gather for a bow at the end of the concert.

Afterwards, upon going outside, there was some video being shot of the fans being loud. It was complete with a boom mic and a pretty high end recorder. I'm not sure what this is going to be used for, but it's something fans might want to keep an eye open for.

Unfortunately, i didn't get there early enough for a meet n greet, nor did anyone from Nightwish seem to be coming out after the event. I'm pretty sure Ewo, at least, recognised my OSA shirt and remembered who i was. Either way, while on the way out i heard one or two naysayers, but by and large, the crowd reaction was extremely positive for both bands that played. Oh yes, and i almost forgot. Tony said that Sonata would be back in late 2009 or early 2010. Something to look forward to.

For anyone who might want to see, i uploaded the video i took when Nightwish was on stage to my Multiply page. It has Marco talking about their disappointment at being unable to play. Sometimes it can be difficult to understand him between the fan screams and the fact that his audio is a bit muffled, but most of the time you can follow what he says.

I was wondering why I can't see the pictures. If it's to do with them no longer being available on whatever hosting site you're using, I'd love to see them. There's one listed on google that I really, really wanna see for myself. One of Tuomas and Tony with their hands laced together in the air at the final bow. Feel free to PM me so I can give you my email to send it to