Sonata Arctica w/Firewind @ BB Kings, NYC (9-30-07)

Tramz

OSA Council Member
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island, New York
Another great night in concerting. If you ask me, it was Firewind who really stole the show. They were great, despite the fact that Henning Basse stood in for Apollo Papathanasio on vocals. To tell you the truth, i didn't even realize it wasn't Apollo until after the concert. Sad i know, but i think Basse works well with the band. One guy next to me, to whom i had been talking (and who had never heard Firewind before), told me after the Firewind set that i was right, they F'ing rock. For me personally, i've seen Sonata what? Three times now? This was my first time seeing Firewind, so that was the real treat.

One of the great thing about the fact that there are so many concerts this time of year is that you see the same people at every one. Even those that don't wind up forming a sort of loose crew with you (you could sort of call me and mine the front row crew, cause well.. you figure it out :p), you are bound to see at almost every event. Case in point, the "anal sex" kid from the Edguy concert was right next to me. He let it be known that he was the one, and a laugh was had by all; even those who weren't at the Edguy concert. Also amusing, sometime during the night, they started up that particular chant again. It's stuff like that which makes having the same people at every concert pretty cool. It's a real scene.

Anyway, Unexpect and The Agonist were both playing again tonight. They were pretty much the same as when they opened up for Epica. Though in all fairness that was what? Two weeks ago?

Unexpect was up first. Here are some of their pictures for those of you who dig them:

unexpect1we4.jpg

Here's that funky bass again.

unexpectld6.jpg

Most of the band.

unexpect2gi5.jpg

The rest of the band.

unexpect3dv8.jpg

A closer picture of the violinist.

The Agonist didn't do much to change my mind about them. I still say that they get the job done live, but there's nothing special or unique about them. The female vocalist switches between screaming and singing. Actually i'd prefer if she just actually sang all the time. Anyway, here's some shots of them:

agonistlf3.jpg

agonist1vj2.jpg

agonist3yc7.jpg

agonist2nt6.jpg

<To Be Continued in the Next Post>

Ahh Firewind. If you don't already know what an amazing guitarist Gus G is, you need to come out of your cave and check out one of his many projects, starting with this one. In short, they completely rock. I've been especially digging their current album for some time now. I seriously hope they do a headlining tour here sometime in the near future. Pictures!:

firewindsetlistvu9.jpg

The set list! One of the kids next to me had a set list from the Poughkeepsie show, so i just nabbed a picture of that before the show. The set was the same.

firewind1rs1.jpg

Gus F'ing G!

firewind2do0.jpg

Bob Katsionis

firewind3dp1.jpg

Bob on the keys.

firewindji2.jpg

Henning Basse

firewind4le3.jpg

One more of Gus.

firewind5gv8.jpg

Another good shot of Basse.

There is only one problem with being up so close, if you can actually call this a problem, and that is that it is extremely difficult to get a wide angle shot encompassing the entire band at once. Here's some of my attempts at it though:

firewind6ai6.jpg

firewind7gu3.jpg

<One more continuation.. Sonata next>

EDIT: I ran out of picture room in my Sonata post:

sonatasetlist1ky5.jpg

Another copy of the Sonata set list. I leaned over the barrier to take this one, and then i rotated the picture. The angle is a bit weird, but at least you can plainly see all the songs.

Last up was of course Sonata Arctica. I was pretty worried that their tour for Unia would pretty much suck, and while some people i talked to weren't impressed, i found their set quite enjoyable. Of course it doesn't hurt that i was front row and dead center heh. Tony also seemed to have a mild cold (as he had to pause once to sneeze into his handkerchief), but that didn't hold him back.

setlistbu6.jpg

The Setlist: In Black and White, Paid in Full, Victoria's Secret, Broken, 8th Commandment, Tallulah, Full Moon, Caleb, Black Sheep, It Won't Fade, Gravenimage (don't you love typos on their own set lists?), San Sebastian, and the encore was My Land, Don't Say a Word, and The Cage which got torn off the list.

sonata6ez0.jpg

I was sure to get plenty of pictures of new guitarist Elias "E.Vil" Viljanen:

sonataxg9.jpg

sonata5ys9.jpg

sonata2tk0.jpg

sonata1rk5.jpg

Elias and Henrik

sonata7ld3.jpg

Elias and Tony

sonata3qp4.jpg

sonata9bi8.jpg

sonata10yn0.jpg

sonata12nc6.jpg

sonata11ub8.jpg

It was nice of him to look right at my camera for this shot :]

sonata4ma8.jpg

sonatafinalecd7.jpg

And so the show ended. It was 12:40 - quite the long show, but a night well spent. I had to say my goodbyes to people that i wouldn't be seeing for a while now that the concerts are going to start to thin out a bit (and some of them won't be at Nightwish.. blasphemers that they are :p). I exchanged contact info with a few others, and then i had to zoom on out to catch my train home (else i would get stuck in penn station till well after 3am.. yuck). It would have been nice to hang out for longer in case the band was going to come out, but eh, i was at the listening party earlier this year, that's good enough.

Next concert stop, Nightwish galore!

This was indeed a wonderful show.. Although I would've been fine without The Agonist or Unexpect opening.. majority of my pictures ended up being of Elias, since he was planted directly in front of me.

SonataArctica1.jpg

Henrik!

SonataArctica11.jpg

Who needs Sonata Arctica when you could have the Ospel Rnc Uffet?

SonataArctica16.jpg

*giggles*

SonataArctica17.jpg

Ken Pierce was sweet enough to take a picture of the setlist before the show started for me..

SonataArctica116.jpg

Elias..

SonataArctica122.jpg

Pink Elias..

SonataArctica125.jpg

SonataArctica141.jpg

Cool :) I especially like that last picture. Heh oh you know it.. "Ospel Rnc Uffet". The event of the decade.

You've gotta love Ken. He'll usually help you out like that, especially if he knows who you are (and he doesn't feel like you are abusing him hehe) :] (for those who don't know who we mean, he is a mainstay of the New York concert scene. he reviews New York and some New Jersey area concerts, among other things, for his own site PiercingMetal.com)

Haha yep, it was a big inside joke between those of us who showed up around 2 P.M, waited for about 5 hours, and watched as the little employee changed it from 'Harlem Brunch Buffet', in the process leaving up the letters he needed to spell 'Sonata Arctica' :D

Ken Pierce is a cool guy. The first time I ever met him, my friends & I compared him to the Barbie doll, Ken, and he flipped out, mentioning how he has a penis, and the Barbie doll doesn't.