Kamelot & Edguy w/Arctic Flame @ BB Kings, NYC (10-15-08)

Tramz

OSA Council Member
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island, New York
I'd been looking forward to this concert for quite some time. I love Edguy concerts. They have never failed to not only rock, but to be hilarious fun. And although i am not the biggest Kamelot fan in the world, i definitely enjoy their music and i enjoy seeing them in concert.

First up, we had Arctic Flame. Now they weren't bad i suppose, and they did a good job of getting the crowd fairly warmed up. I wouldn't say they were a stellar, buzzworthy band akin to the likes noteworthy opening appearances from times gone by such as Operatika or Martyrd, but at least they aren't awful. I actually enjoyed their guitaring. It was just their vocalist that i wasn't really feeling.

Here are some shots of these guys:

d0bb_Arctic_Flame.jpg

24d4_Arctic_Flame1.jpg

4e38_Arctic_Flame2.jpg

Hey, anyone who has Woodstock on their guitar can't be all bad, can they? ;]

As Kamelot were the headliners for this tour, Edguy would be the next band to play. Obviously i prefer it when the band i am there to see is the headliner, but at least this meant i would get to see them sooner. They rocked, as usual. Tobias Sammet had an amusing take on the formula that is a concert: calling out what would obviously happen (such as in the call and response segments most bands do, or by saying "see you in a minute" once they left the stage when we all knew they would be back for an encore). At one point he asked what people wanted to hear next, and someone shouted out "Superheroes" which happened to be exactly what was next, so Tobias said something to the effect of, "i see you've been looking at our set list".

If i had to rate all of my Edguy concert experiences, i would probably put this one at the bottom of the list, as it seemed to lack slightly in some of those hilarious moments that define Edguy events, and at the start, at least, the crowd seemed to be a little less with them than at previous events here in New York. They also did not debut even one song from the upcoming album, and fans in the know were hoping for one. However that is not to say it wasn't a great time. One thing that also seems to define an Edguy concert here in New York is a chant of "Anal Sex!". Ever since the headliner last year (and for a few non-Edguy concerts after), that chant seems to have become a part of our scene. People just do not forget or let it go. It was pretty funny to hear the crowd take up the chant yet again, though this time it did not phase the band. Anyway, here are some shots of Edguy:

7f39_Edguy_Setlist.jpg

Because of the large number of VIP ticket holders, i could only get to second row for this event, so the girl in front of me took this shot for me. I probably should have turned the flash off before i handed her my camera heh. Anyway, because it can be a bit hard to read, the songs are: Mysteria, Sacrifice, Lavatory Love Machine, Mandrake, Superheroes, Vain Glory Opera, and King of Fools.

4f00_Edguy.jpg

a89e_Edguy1.jpg

44c3_Edguy2.jpg

Dirk, Tobias and Jens love to gather for these group photo shots at our concerts. They seem to do it every time.

6f1c_Edguy3.jpg

52db_Edguy4.jpg

6e34_Edguy7.jpg

The band gathering at the end of the set. Heh i blinded poor Dirk (and i seem to have missed most of the band :p)

<Kamelot portion of the concert continued in the next post as i ran out of picture room>

Last up was of course Kamelot. Now i don't know if they request this for the hazy atmosphere, or if the BB King's staff decided to go crazy with it (as they occasionally seem to do), but before the set, they would NOT stop running the smoke machine. You couldn't even see the lead microphone for a bit there (all before the band came out). Everyone in the first few rows was commenting about it and saying things about it being enough already.

Regardless, when the band came out, the fans went insane as they always do for the headliner. As I've mentioned before, although i enjoy their music, for whatever reason, i have never become that much of a Kamelot fan. That said, i thought their set was fantastic. Everyone was on point, especially Khan. You can tell he really enjoys playing here in New York, something he emphasized at one point by saying how we didn't understand what a big deal it was for them to play here; how New York was this city they see on tv and in movies, and to be playing in Times Square was pretty crazy.

Kamelot did a call and response segment in their set, something Khan says they have never done before. If true, it's always cool to be there for a first (even for something as cliche and standard as that has become). A bit like during Edguy, Khan also asked if people knew what song was coming next. What did someone shout out in response? "Camel Toe". Khan could not help but start laughing and he had to go over to try to find the culprit responsible (who didn't have the balls to take credit, mores the pity). The set list (which you will see in a moment) was pretty long. 15 songs, a solo, an instrumental and 2 encores. I'm sure some die-hard fan might have found something to complain about, but most everyone in the house walked away very satisfied (and i walked away with a Kamelot guitar pick).

On with the pictures!

ced9_Kamelot_Setlist.jpg

182a_Kamelot4.jpg

204c_Kamelot.jpg

314b_Kamelot3.jpg

97e0_Kamelot5.jpg

6fda_Kamelot6.jpg

bebc_Kamelot7.jpg

d898_Kamelot8.jpg

Heh i missed one person, sorry :p