Symphony X w/Epica & Into Eternity @ The Nokia Theatre, NYC (4-5-08) [Picture Heavy]

Tramz

OSA Council Member
Aug 9, 2007
Long Island, New York
Man it was great to get back out to a concert. I've been gone for barely 4 months and it feels like well over a year. What a great event to kick off the concert year with too. Symphony X on their home turf, you just knew it would be good. There were a few minor issues for the evening, but I'll get to them in due course, and none of them really could hold back such a fun rocking night.

The first thing i did upon arrival was to scan the line waiting to get in for anyone i might know. There wasn't anyone there, which i found pretty strange. Later on i would meet up with several of the old "front row crew" by getting to where else? The front row :p But for the time being, i went to the back of the line and proceeded to talk with whomever was there. One thing i love about concerts such as SymX, is you get a crowd of pretty decent people. They are knowledgable about the music, pretty intelligent, and overall, nice. While waiting on the line, i met two guys from Connecticut, one of whom was very eager to spread the word about Firewind (can you blame him?) and both of them were as eager as i to find someone who appreciated certain bands (such as Ayreon). After going inside (and before i caught up with some familiar faces), i wound up talking for quite a while with someone else who was another example of what makes this scene such a great place. The point of this paragraph is to show that even if you don't know anyone at a metal concert, or if you haven't been to one in a while, the vibe is usually so healthy and there are enough cool kids out there, that if you put forth outgoing positivity, you are bound to make friendly acquaintances that will be glad to see you, event after event. In short? I love the scene almost as much as the concerts themselves.

Anyway, on to the show (for songs lists, see the pictures). First up was Into Eternity. Now I've made it no secret that i am getting kind of tired of being subjected to them live. Musically, they actually aren't that bad and it's starting to grow on me a bit, but the vocalist just doesn't really work for me. It also didn't help that his mic was entirely too loud, and it would trigger a reverb machine at weird times that was even louder than the mic, and would then cut off abruptly. I will give them their props for one thing however. They commented on how many people around their band they have lost to cancer, and how much cancer sucks. They've said that they plan, as a band, to donate towards cancer research, "even if it is to a small local hospital". They started a chant with the crowd of either "F*ck cancer" or "cancer sucks", i can't remember which, but you get the point. They score a lot of points with me for that.

Next to play was Epica. I have to admit, while i was aware that Amanda Somerville could sing, i was really disappointed that Simone wasn't going to be there. While Amanda can't quite hit some of the highest notes that Simone can, she really did a great job. I can't say that i was disappointed at all by the end of their set, and i think that says something. Unfortunately Epica didn't have a set list to grab a shot of, and my memory sucks these days. But those i remember for certain include: Cry For The Moon, Sensorium, Fools of Damnation, and they ended with Consign to Oblivion. Anyone who may have been there and who remembers more can feel free to post them.

Before i knew it, SymX was hitting the stage. To say the crowd was pumped would be an understatement. Their return was clearly eagerly anticipated, and after the concert, i heard comments about the extreme rowdiness of the crowd. Hey, they were excited, i can't blame them. Russell, Michael and the gang really came out rocking. They gave an extremely energetic set, one that was full of humorous moments. For starters, Russell had been tossing out bottles of water left and right. Some kid in the audience soaked Russell with one of them. Everyone in the crowd "booed" this kid. Russell didn't miss a beat though. He commented about how he didn't need them to get him wet, as the crowd was getting him so pumped up, that he would go home and achieve that goal with his wife (who was in the audience). Some other kid said something, and Russell (still soaked) told him that he was "wet for him" heh. Oh that rascally Russell. For further humor, he talked about how they had played in Boston, and how he didn't think he would make it out alive after he talked shit about certain sports teams. Because of certain New York vs Boston sports rivalries, he urged us to be louder than they were. The means to do this? A chant of "Boston sucks!"

There was also an "aww" moment (literally, "awww" from the crowd) when Russell told his wife that he loved her during Through The Looking Glass. The only complaint for the evening is that for some unknown reason they had Michael Romeo's guitar volume FAR too low. Despite many shouts to turn it up, they never did. Some fans also complained a little bit about what wasn't included on the set list, but the set was around 2 hours long as it was. I thought it was a great set and i refuse to fault them for it.

After the show, i learned a few cool things. First, talking to Mark Jansen of Epica, he said that they would be back next year, headlining, and with a new album! I was also talking with Symphony X's bassist Michael LePond, and he said how this event at Nokia was the largest turnout they have EVER had when they've been the headlining band, both here in America AND in Europe. I also asked what the odds would be on them touring again for the Paradise Lost album, and his reaction, although far from certain, suggested that we shouldn't hold our breath.

Finally, one or two last cool tidbits. One of the stage security guards for this event is a Nightwish fan! As it turns out, he attended the Nightwish concert at Nokia as a fan, and decided he would like to go to these events as security. It obviously happened, cause there was he, working the SymX concert. How cool is that?

Older OSAers will also remember AMBR. She was there working this event. I was able to catch up with her for a few moments after the concert (that makes 3 events in the past 6 months or so that I've seen her actually). It's always cool to see familiar faces. Especially those who were such an important part of the early days of the OSA.

Anyway, on with the pictures!

Into Eternity:

7309_IESetlist.jpg

The Into Eternity Set list.

803d_IE1.jpg

9dd2_IE2.jpg

Guitarist Tim Roth.

23d6_IE3.jpg

Guitarists Justin Bender and Tim Roth.

9e39_IE4.jpg

Vocalist Stu Block.

Epica:

a486_Epica2.jpg

Amanda Somerville handling the vocal duties.

3e17_Epica.jpg

Mark Jansen and Coen Janssen.

1920_Epica5.jpg

Bassist Yves Huts and guitarist Ad Sluijter with drummer Ariën in the background.

ac63_Epica6.jpg

Mark, Coen, and Amanda.

a600_Epica1.jpg

Ariën Van Weesenbeek

0470_Epica4.jpg

One more of Amanda, because how often will you get to see her in concert?

0303_Epica10.jpg

Coen says, "Me strong!"

5065_Epica9.jpg

A shot with as much of the band as i could squeeze into my lens.

<SymX Pictures continued in the next message>

5e58_SymXSetlist.jpg

The Symphony X Set list.

ebc4_SymX.jpg

Russell Allen (in a picture that refuses to ditch the red eye, even with photoshop)

f693_SymX3.jpg

Michael Romeo, as Russell put it "a true guitar hero". At one point, people were even doing the "We're not worthy" worship bowing to him.

94ee_SymX4.jpg

Michel LePond

6d95_SymX1.jpg

b815_SymX2.jpg

Russell lets the crowd sing.

e449_SymX6.jpg

Russell admiring Michaels guitar work.

4ea2_SymX7.jpg

Look out Michael!

16ac_SymX9.jpg

He got you :p Now you get to prove that you can play blind.

ded6_SymX10.jpg

The band coming together to take a bow at the end of the show.

Cool :) Ya know, Romeo always has that plain white Caparison guitar...it's so boring, I wish he'd bust out something with just a tad more flare & personality to it, to match his playing. Here's a clip of Epica's performance of Sensorium...

Last edited by a moderator:
i see my head in the first picture of tim. i didn't look behind me, but where exactally were you?

For the IE set (when that picture was obviously taken) i was 4 or 5 people back, dead center. I was a little closer for Epica, and before SymX came out the crowd rushed forward and i got pulled along with it, landing me right up front.

I have no clue where you were in relation to me. You could have been right in front or a couple of row closer to the stage and it just looks like you were right in front of me thanks to optical zooming.

haha could be. i know people behind me and next to me were taking pictures. the guy holding the set list was three people to my left.

It sucks that Simone was not there. I would have been one miserable person had I gone. I knew Simone was sick. But, I do not remember anyone saying she would not be on the tour.

The Epica web page said she wouldn't be there. It was the top news item.

Amanda sounds a LOT like her, and considering she has served as Simone's vocal coach (and given her involvement in the metal scene in general), and her obvious talent, their set was almost as good as if Simone herself had been there.

Certainly the fans didn't seem to care. I expected a fair bit of booing. But either most of the crowd was already informed or they didn't even notice the difference (though i informed a number of people about Simone's absence). Everyone was reasonably into their set.

I take it you aren't a SymX fan Ray?

Btw, i know one person who was surprised the turnout was as huge as it was because of I-Con (he actually went to I-Con instead). As if I-Con could compare to SymX.

Anyway, at least Epica will be headlining next year.

They commented on how many people around their band they have lost to cancer, and how much cancer sucks. They've said that they plan, as a band, to donate towards cancer research, "even if it is to a small local hospital". They started a chant with the crowd of either "F*ck cancer" or "cancer sucks", i can't remember which, but you get the point. They score a lot of points with me for that

I believe it was two of their roadies (who happened to be brothers) who died of cancer