Sorcerer - Lamenting of the Innocent

Agreed. This is an instant buy the day its released. Something about this track reminds me of Candlemass "A Cry From The Crypt" off their Ancient Dreams album. Maybe its only a few bars from the bass line, but that's about it. Overall this track is clearly different and original. I love that it has two guitar solos. If the rest of this album is as good as this track they'll have another winner on their hands. I told Anders at the Artmore last year I thought they were better than Candlemass, but he probably didn't believe me. IMO they really are. Glenn, bring them baaaaack. \m/ :)

Hmmm...better than Candlemass? I'm not too sure about that....Sorcerer is definitely doomy like Candlemass, but I find them more melodic. It's hard not to be when you have a singer like Andy Enberg. I think the Candlemass album that most closely resembled what Sorcerer is doing was Chapter VI, when they had Thomas Vikstrom on vocals....it was a more melodic approach for Candlemass.

Either way, both bands kick ass...it always makes me happy to hear new music from them.

There were so many stellar performances last year and Sorcerer was right at the top of that list for me. This sounds great, I can't wait to hear the new album. I don't think they are Candlemass "elite" level yet but they keep releasing CD's as good as the last two then they will definately be spoken in the same breath as Candlemass.

Candlemass seemed a bit too formulaic to me, which isn't necessarily bad if its a good formula. However, "The Door to Doom" sounded fresh, Maybe the return of Johan Langquist had something to do with it (ya think?). But yeah Candlemass is back to form & at the top of their sound again. Can't say that for Opeth.. unfortunately. You are right that Sorcerer needs some more top shelf albums to cement their place among the greats. It will happen.

Makes me think of PPUSA XXV. I'd imagine Glenn will have some tough choices to make. I'd be happy to see Sorcerer back if they crank out a couple more 5 star headbangers before then. But who else will be in Glenn's pool of potential choices for XXV? Rather than have to cut a great band out for XXV in favor of a better one, I'm hoping Glenn makes it a week long extravaganza with ALL the great bands. We can probably count on two already: Evergrey & Jon Oliva's Pain (or Savatage?). But who else? Those are two headliners right there, and you know more headliner quality bands will want to be at the last Glennfest. It boggles the mind, or maybe its just Friday afternoon dreaming. :cool:

He's gotta have Freak Kitchen back, right?
It's been a while since I've been to ProgPower USA...I attended 5 or 6 back starting with #4. I think the last one I attended had Pretty Maids and Mystic Prophesy...#13? Tickets started getting harder to get, had a child, and then moved away from Florida where it was a relatively easy drive to Atlanta. I'd love to go back again....I miss it. Thanks to the festival, I've seen bands I never thought possible, like Tad Morose, Pretty Maids, Brainstorm and Jorn, and introduced me to some new favorites, like Freak Kitchen, Circus Maximus and Pagan's Mind. Glenn's the man.

Reactions: NorseBlood
I agree Glenn is the man. Since coming to the festival I've seen some really great bands, many I didn't know about before. To name a few of the recent ones: Soen, Vanden Plas, Barren Earth, Orden Ogan, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Need, Withem, Ghost Ship Octavius, Manimal, Shattered Skies, and yes Poets of the Fall. I've met some really great people at the festival and made some good friends, so much so that I'm seeing the festival as a reunion as much as a musical event. @Comic Book Dude you need to come back to PPUSA. Its your home too, and you've been gone from it way too long. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: Comic Book Dude
SORCERER ANNOUNCES THE QUARANTINE SESSIONS

"...On September 25th, the Swedish epic doom metallers Sorcerer will be premiering Sorcerer - The Quarantine Sessions; an exclusive, digital only, release of three live acoustic songs....Because of the special nature of the album presentation, the band decided to release recordings of this quarantine live set on an EP. Sorcerer - The Quarantine Sessions will be available from September 25th on all digital platforms...."

Sorcerer%20Quarantine.jpg

"Deliverance" acoustic live version:

Lamenting Of The Innocent album release party: