circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
SOS – A Guide to Better Living
3:16 Productions – 2005
By Jason Jordan

sos.jpg

I imagine SOS have plenty of hometown fans, but I can’t see these guys ever venturing past New York City’s limits, and being successful. A Guide to Better Living is a comeback album of sorts, squelching this quartet’s four-year hiatus, while boosting their full-length discography from three to four. On the whole, though, their material is innocuous, forgettable, and even grating.

First, this disc is way too long. I don’t need 17 tracks – totaling 60 minutes – of semi-hard rock, unless it’s incredibly well done. This isn’t. SOS’s tunes are simplistic, which can be good if they’re catchy, but they aren’t. The vocals on A Guide to Better Living are all subpar, even though there are three different vocal styles present. The lyrics are quite inane, too. Songs such as “Star Killers” and “The Wedding Guy” will leave you cringing, whereas the pop punk of “Scenic Route” and “Hopeless” will confuse you. I thought this was supposed to be hard rock laced with grooves? The best music, however, comes in the form of “Slut,” which has pretty decent riffs. As I said before, they throw in disparities once again on the acoustic-led “Killing Time” and Italian-esque “Venice.” The latter soon morphs into a hardcore punk anthem – yuck. It wouldn’t be so bad if SOS weren’t…annoying. But they are. The unexpected transformations – unlike bands that incorporate juxtaposition in all their compositions – are unwelcome because they come out of nowhere.

Overall, A Guide to Better Living breeds the opposite of what I presume it wanted to. That is, it breeds contempt. As it stands, this most likely would’ve fared better had it not been so freakin’ long. It’s like that one guest who overstays his welcome, or even the one you never wanted to invite in the first place. Don’t give this a chance to unravel; there’s just not much worth liking here.

3/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official SOS Website
Official 3:16 Productions Website