SOS! Mix not "translating" well on some systems!

I was about to say that this tangent was off topic or irrelevant however i think this is really not the case. The monitoring setup has nothing to do with the frequency response or how flat it is, but really how clearly you are hearing fault in the mix. it just may be that the setup that the OP has is not giving him an accurate representation of the faults of the mix but it still giving him a relatively flat response. If thats the case even IF he has acoustic treatment and a flat room, he would still be in the same situation. In the end it might be true that his monitors are horribly inaccurate on a time domain perspective, maybe more so than even the other systems that he is listening to, which means that those other systems are showing the faults that he is not hearing on his system. I haven't used the rokits so I wouldn't know how good they are, but considering the price, I couldn't see how a car stereo could show the faults the a pair of the rokit 5's couldn't show.
True. There's no perfect setup and even if you get close to it, when it comes to translation it comes down to the ability to interpret, experience, ears, harmonic convergence, etc... but the more variables you can eliminate the better imo.

True. There's no perfect setup and even if you get close to it, when it comes to translation it comes down to the ability to interpret, experience, ears, harmonic convergence, etc... but the more variables you can eliminate the better imo.

TRUEer! :rofl: :rofl:

Managed to distinguish some elements that i couldn't when i first used these monitors... Unfortunately NOT the kick and maybe bass (at least based solely on my monitors, i try to tame these elements by listening to OTHER systems :oops: )

Vocals for example: It's now clearer that they were too loud and too "trebly", and i COULD have heard it on my KRK's, but the other speakers just made it clearer.

It's obvious that as i gain more experience, i will be able to tell the differences without necessarily listening to car speakers (of course i will keep on doing this, it really helps).

But for the kick, i really think it is NOT possible, even if i mix for decades, the freq is there, but even if i, let's say, turn up 2db@65 hz, the result coming out is pretty much the same!

(i hope someone understands what i just wrote, as my English pretty much suck)

TRUEer! :rofl: :rofl:

Managed to distinguish some elements that i couldn't when i first used these monitors... Unfortunately NOT the kick and maybe bass (at least based solely on my monitors, i try to tame these elements by listening to OTHER systems :oops: )

Vocals for example: It's now clearer that they were too loud and too "trebly", and i COULD have heard it on my KRK's, but the other speakers just made it clearer.

It's obvious that as i gain more experience, i will be able to tell the differences without necessarily listening to car speakers (of course i will keep on doing this, it really helps).

But for the kick, i really think it is NOT possible, even if i mix for decades, the freq is there, but even if i, let's say, turn up 2db@65 hz, the result coming out is pretty much the same!

(i hope someone understands what i just wrote, as my English pretty much suck)

5" cones are never going to move enough air for you to be able to tell the difference accurately. Either a sub, or bigger monitors (much better than a sub IMO, less phase interaction) is what your going to need to get an accurate picture that low in the feq. range.

Your untreated (im assuming) room is only going to make it worse by letting large peaks and nulls in the rooms responses fuck up what your hearing. Just like everyone has said it really comes down to accuracy.