Sound Improvements vs. Voodoo

Obscura

Mar 16, 2004
www.myspace.com
I've been laid up sick for the last 2 weeks and have had little to do other than spend time on the computer reading about gear, recording, etc. and after the 2 weeks my head is spinning with all of the tweaks that are out there for gear. My band is going into the studio in about 5 weeks to finish an Lp and I've been searching for little things to take the recording over the top.

I have 2 Stef Carpenter 7 strings, one regular(maple) and one Baritone(mahogany), a rackmount Rectifier like Andy's loaded with JJ tubes, a Boogie .50 Caliber rackmount loaded with JJ's as well, and a 5150 combo all to be played through a Rectictifier cab loaded with V30's. All in all I'm going in in great shape.

The tweaks that I've heard on some of the forums are as follows: the EMG 18volt mod to improve the clean tone, using a Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 on all 3 amps to tame some fizz, using Boogie C90 speakers rather than V30's for a tighter, more focused sound, and the TS-9 (which I'm getting tomorrow) and all of it's various mods. I've istened to all of Andy's clips on the TS-9 mod and do hear an appreciable difference between no TS-9 and the TS-9 up front, but the sound from there gets pretty subjective. The good news on the TS-9 mod is that I work about 5 minutes from Analogman so I can get the pedal modded quickly if I choose to.

So, my question is, can I get a little bit of help seperating true sound improvements from internet hysteria. This is my favorite forum to visit to find more fact than fiction and I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks, Todd.