Modding TS7 to OD808 spec

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Sorry if I open a new thread but it seems that no one cares about the sticky thread.
I'm thinking to try modding my TS7 to the OD808 spec....everybody says me that the maxon is way better than every TS out there so I wanna give it a try, if possible.
Sincerely I don't know if this mod would be easy as the TS7 to TS808 mod (2 resistors)...
From what I've seen the schematics are a little different than only 2 resistors...
So, anyone tried this mod? Does the maxon sound different than a TS808?

Here we are:

TS9
schematics_ts9_to_ts808.jpg

MAXON OD808
OD-808_sch.BMP

As you can see, the maxon seems to have 2 chips instead of 1...so it makes the mod/conversion a little more complicated if not impossible. In fact the circuit is way more different than a TS7/TS808 comparation

hi XeS,
the additional chip in the od808 have the same function as the two transistors in the ts808 - impedance-convertor. should not made a big difference in tone, maybe the ic-buffers clipps a little later than the transistor-buffer. (but to clipp this buffers you need a very high-output-pickup)
circuit-wise, these two pedals should sound more or less the same, clipping and frequency-shaping is nearly the same. (depends a little bit on unsed IC-type). i dont think its worth to mod your ts7 to od808-specs.

regards, khe

Since the modded pedal obviously rocks harder...

Has anyone analysed why the sound improves?

The increase in current demand on the output transistor might increase even-order harmonics? Or maybe it's just happier passing bigger current?

The same process might just be applicable to other pedals also... We should investigate.