Modding 5150 II lead channel to 5150 spec

Wolfman, and Hourglass, thanks alot for all of the info. Wolfman, if I leave c17 in place and tie a 470K and an additional 0.0015 uF cap across C17, will this be different from removing the c17, and adding a 470K and 0.0022uF.. thanks for all the help, and extra info, is there anything else that you would recommend to try?

Wolfman, and Hourglass, thanks alot for all of the info. Wolfman, if I leave c17 in place and tie a 470K and an additional 0.0015 uF cap across C17, will this be different from removing the c17, and adding a 470K and 0.0022uF.. thanks for all the help, and extra info, is there anything else that you would recommend to try?

according to the comment posted above from James Brown (the guy who designed the amp when he was with Peavey), it's the same thing.

I certainly appreciate your efforts hourglass, and I understand the logic in wanting to make a clip post-modding with the exact same settings and mic position to demonstrate the differences, but another clip with the post-modded amp dialed in to sound its best would have been nice

Oh shit, I totally breezed right past that on pg. 1 :oops: (I only listened to A and B) Not at my home computer now, but I'll check it later, thanks!

OK, I can understand what you're saying if you missed the "C" clip.

The "B" example is certainly the worst of the three -- the boosted low end completely overwhelms the midrange. The "C" clip shows what I like about the original 5150. It's meaner and more raw than the 5150-II.

Ryan

I've had the 5150 for some time now before I sold it recently and honestly it's all in the EQ.

You can have the 5150 sound just like the 5150II and vice versa.

I've had the 5150 for some time now before I sold it recently and honestly it's all in the EQ.

You can have the 5150 sound just like the 5150II and vice versa.

Then you're a better man than I am. You might be able to get the original to sound like the II, I'll give you that. But the II simply can't add frequencies that aren't there no matter how you twist the knobs.

I had my original 5150 for six or seven years. I did a lot of recording with it. I got the 5150-II when it first came out because I found one for $525 and the clean channel blew the shit out of the original head.

In a money crunch, I sold my original head.

In the years since then, whenever I would come upon one of the recordings I had done with the original 5150 I would always wonder why my stuff didn't sound like that anymore. I tried new tubes. I tried every knob setting in the book. It just wouldn't do it.

So I took it apart, spent about 10 whole minutes to change 2 parts, and put it back together.. Now it does the sound I hear in my head and which is reinforced by dozens of songs I recorded with my old one.

Ryan

Done with the mod. Super easy, but I took my time to get it right.

My first reaction is that it almost seems like it has MORE low end than the original 5150. But whats REALLY nice about it is that before to get the tonal thickness I wanted, I ran my gain around 7. I would get my thickness, but sacrifice some clarity. Now, I can get the thickness with the gain at 4 or 5...Just like a regular 5150/6505. I can also back off the bass and resonance a tad and still retain a good amount of chunk. Make no mistake I loved the amp before, but this IMO so far has proven to be worth every cent and every bit of the little time it takes.

I bought the parts from Mouser Electronics...I bought 2 of each component just in case...it was 3 bucks for all 6 parts. Unfortunately shipping was 6.95! But, for 10 bucks and change and a half hour of my time, I'll take it!

I don't my rig setup right now, nor a place to do it just yet. I will be starting guitar tracks for my bands next CD in a couple weeks, so I'll perhaps throw some up then.

I'd advise anyone who actually likes the tone of a 5150 to stay far the hell away from any mod FJA would do to the preamp section (clarity mod and other junk) - it really just pussifies the head for what we're doing.

This isn't a complete mod, though - good start. I'd like to see a full mod, getting them identical... then I could consider getting a 5150II and just do the mod myself.

Have I modded an amp for you? I don't recognize the name.
Jerry