Sound quality of Fates Warning reissues?

randian

New Metal Member
Jun 3, 2008
Do they suffer, as so much metal does today, from extreme dynamic compression and smiley-face EQ? Check out Leatherwolf's World Asylum, for example. I like the songs, but the compression makes my head hurt and ears bleed. A lot of remasters sound like that, such as Queensryche's and Judas Priest's. If only every remaster could sound like my DCC Master of Puppets. No compression, no pumped-up EQ, no No-Noise, just beautiful sound.

I have the reissue of Awaken The Guardian and it sounds fine. Dunno how it sounded before, though.

Protip: You're listening to the wrong genre, if you expect perfect sound quality.
I don't require perfection. I expect metal albums to have low production values. Compressing the hell out of an original album or remaster so it has near-zero dynamic range isn't a lack of perfection, it's musical vandalism. It sounds bad. It literally makes my ears hurt :mad: when I listen at anything approaching moderate volume. High volume is simply impossible. It destroys the emotional connection of the music when the quiet parts are now as loud as everything else. And it's completely unnecessary. Now maybe the folks at Metal Blade have bucked the trend. If so, I applaud them, but the overwhelming trend in metal is for remasters and new releases to be completely maximized. Gotta have that "punch" for the boom-box crowd, but it will sound terrible if you have a real stereo or home theater rig.

I don't require perfection. I expect metal albums to have low production values.

Then that's just dumb. But I generally agree that a lot of remasters of old school items are fail because they fuck up the production--and thus a piece of the artistic integrity--of the original work. Though often remastered to artist specifications (I imagine...), there's still something weird about making production so shiny and new that the original sound is present only in an abstracted sense.

But like I said, if you think metal should have or is supposed to only have low production values...you're just dumb.

i'm too smash faced to compare the my awaken the guardian original to the remaster right now, but if I recall correctly, metal blade did a decent job on the remaster. I wish every remaster actually improved on the sound ,cause it'd save me a ton of cash. Since that's not the case, you're going to have to listen the remaster, somehow, before you buy. thank goodness for mp3s.

one bit of advice, stay the hell away from century media remasters, they have no clue what they're doing.

edit another good thing about remasters/reissues..they always lower the prices on originals :)

But like I said, if you think metal should have or is supposed to only have low production values...you're just dumb.
I said I expect it to have low production values, not that it should have low production values.