Soundforge Mastering Tutorial

GMFx

Dec 11, 2009
Anybody know where I can get a good tutorial for mastering with soundforge? I´ve never worked with a mastering software before but I am supposed to master our demo next month. anybody know where I can get good tutorials?

what´s a google?

no, of course I have. seems no one is working with it. well, as I said fuck it. I´ll figure it out myself.

well mr.smarty pants why is there a program like steinberg wavelab then.....?

If you could just master with cubase. or logic or whatever you use.

i have both BTW.

hmm. I mean. I am used to mixing with cubase and I guess some of what I do can be considered mastering.

but usually it´s lacking that certain punch I am looking for in an audio cd when i burn it you know.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kdto2m4zwyg

this for example. it´s just a preview track(vocals will be redone and a second guitar added)

Well thats probably cause you dont have a good mastering plugin or you dont properly know how to master. I am not claiming to be an expert as Mastering is something I am still learning myself, but its like mixing you need to practice practice practice. Your not going to get Soundforge and all of the sudden get good at mastering. It has nothing to do with the program you use, it has everything to do with your ears.

After listening I can tell you now the punch is lacking in the Mix, mastering isnt going to fix that. The drums lack POP especially the snare, the kick is way to small, and the guitars arent BIG and PUNCHY. I think its more your recording technique then anything else at this point.

Great tune BTW, I dig it!

thanks man. well it´s just supposed to be a demo - so I guess it´s ok as far as recording goes. but yeah definitely - we used engl powerballs and it was very hard to get a good tone on record for some reason. I know about the drums and that will be fixed. the bassdrum is the standard ez drummer dfh right now I think. haha.
I really wonder what went wrong though. maybe we should´ve gotten some pedal like a maxon od808 or some kind of tubescreamer maybe. microphones were just standard sure sm57 and sennheiser e906.
well I am still a beginner and I had to make compromises with my band members a few times...thanks for taking the time man. you´re probably absolutely right about the mastering.

By chance did you record DI's of the guitar. If so its an easy fix. One thing you should get in the habit of is recording DI's with your live tracks. Makes it easier to find a tone that sits in the mix later on :)

How does your panning look on your channels? How many tracks of guitar?

two guitar tracks right now. two to be added. dumb as we are we didn´t record a di signal, won´t happen next time. I panned them very hard. 50% right and 50% left and the two signals are completely different. cubase amp simulator on the right and voxengo boogex on the left side.

... Mastering was not always done inside a DAW. Even today I highly doubt it's done in a DAW. One would hope that it'll be done by running a two-track through some sexy analog gear.

so I worked my way through compressors etc. - still not loud enough :/ anyone gots una idea? I´ve tried pushing it further with soundforge resulting in slight but audible distortion. my comparison track was decrepit birth - the living doorway. yes - so I basicly want to raise the loudness to cd level.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2tytwkooz1mqimy

this is the version with soundforge applied and without