Soundgarden

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Okay, we've discussed Alice In Chains extensively recently and now is the time for a Soundgarden topic. What does everyone think of this great band? It took them three or so albums to actually break with 1991's Badmotorfinger, but they've never really released a disappointing record in my opinion. Out of all the Seattle bands of the era, Soundgarden are arguably the most Sabbath-influenced and they had some of the greatest riffs ever. Cornell to this day remains one of the greatest and most capable singers ever, not to mention the superbly tight rhythm section of the band.

Even though, some of the band's older fan base were pissed at the band gaining world stardom with Superunknown, the album was far from a sell-out attempt. It, to me, was just the next logical step and their biggest leap at that.

What do you think of Soundgarden? Which album(s) do you like best?

Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are pretty good albums. I rarely find myself wanting to listen to them anymore though, as opposed to Alice in Chains and Nirvana. They just kind of lack consistency. Chris Cornell is a good singer. Too bad he had to join that utter monstrosity of a band Audioslave (though he seems to have left now).

great band. Down On the Upside is pretty good too. I hear there's a new Cornell solo record coming up, let's hope it's better than Euphoria Morning ;)

Euphoria Morning was fucking awful, i remember buying it, and setting it on fire a few months later...lol...the cd case remained intact though, as for Soundgarden, very good band, Cornell still had some range in that times, Superunknown is my favourite album

Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are pretty good albums. I rarely find myself wanting to listen to them anymore though, as opposed to Alice in Chains and Nirvana. They just kind of lack consistency. Chris Cornell is a good singer. Too bad he had to join that utter monstrosity of a band Audioslave (though he seems to have left now).

Audioslave is extremely cheesy, uninspired and dull cocky hard pop rock, shit band

I used to listen to them a bit back int he 90s. I like them but dont really listen to them anymore. I actually like Audioslave more.

I saw them open up for Metallica, and they were much heavier live than on the cd's. They are ok, Chris Cornell gets on my nerves most of the time, especially with that overated guitarist chump in Audioslave.

Pretty average band imo. Never felt really compelled to listen to them like I did with say Alice and Chains or Nirvana. Chris Cornell annoys me too, not as much as say Eddie Vedder did though.

I listened to the first 5 songs on "A-Sides" and it was unbelievably fucking horrible. Blackhole Sun and Spoonman I hear on the radio pretty often, and they're merely lame. Maybe the rest of their greatest hits is amazing or something, but based on those five I heard and those two singles they're easily the worst of the big famous grunge bands of the period (Smashing Pumpkins/AIC > Stone Temple Pilots > Nirvana > Pearl Jam > Soundgarden). I don't really like Chris Cornell's voice either, I won't say he's a crappy singer but I just really am not very impressed by anything I've heard from him and don't see why everyone else seems to be.

Oh, and Audioslave may be lame but it's far better than any Soundgarden I've heard :\

wtf Soundgarden isn't near as atrocious as Audiogay...that piece of crap ''like a stone'' is the shittiest power b4llaD ever recorded, Cornell truly sounds like he is trying to swallow an egg during the whole ''song'', not to mention the supid ''solo''. I have the A-sides comp and it is pretty good imo, tracks 7 to 16 are the best iyam, try listening to ''outshined'', ''pretty nose'' and ''burden in my hand'', solid songs.

anything cornell touches is gold.

+1,000! :worship:

I have been a fan of Cornell for years I loved Soundgarden as a teenager and "Superunknown" was one of the first three albums I ever bought. (But I do admit, Badmotorfinger was much better! Such classics like "Somewhere" "Drawing Flies" "Jesus Christ Pose" "Outshined" all on one great fucking record!! Christ on a bike, it can't get anybetter then that!)

I did like Audioslave, a lot. Commerford's bassing is kick ass, Wilke was good (he ain't no Gavin Harrison), I just could never really enjoy Morello's guitar style. I was never a fan of Rage Against the Machine. I can see how they got their success, they are talented, gotta respect that, but I never liked Morello and DeLaRocha much.

So I'm not sad at all the Chris left Audioslave at all. I mean, look at what he's done, just listen to "TEMPLE OF THE DOG". I've been listening to him now for a very long time. He is a great singer and songwriter, and I see how his writing has evolved. I liked Euphoria Morning when it first came out but didn't get into it because I was listening to other things at the time (***cough*** boring american metal ***cough***). Just last year, I started listening to it again and I found that this was the album that I could listen to and think "I know exactly what he was feeling when he wrote that..." because (recently) I was going through a hard time as well as he was when he wrote the material. Now when I listen to Audioslave and I hear how he is much more happier in life, it gives a chick like me hope, you know?

I will always be a loyal CC fan, he can do no wrong. I mean, right now, I'm listening to his "unplugged" shit and his covers man, his covers are wonderful. "Redemption Song" is moving but his cover of the Led Zeppelin song "Thank You" takes the cake.

I have already heard the Michael Jackson song he covered, it's damn good. When a band of mediocre musicians come together to cover a song, they play it and it sounds like they are just covering a song. When an artist covers a song, however, they make that song their own. Chris Cornell made Billy Jean his own, just like Tori Amos made the songs off Strange Little Girls her own, just like Jeff Buckley made "Hallelujah" his own, just like Steven Wilson made "thank you" his own... (I could go on)

This is just another chapter for Chris Cornell and I can't wait to see/hear what he does next...

Well, to go back to the topic at hand, I love Soundgarden. Like Alice In Chains, if I did not have Soundgarden to listen to in my life, it would have been not just less interesting, but less warm (maybe not the word I want to use but the best I can come up with after a bottle of good merlot)...

sorry for hijacking your Soundgarden thread... o_O

Some ridiculously good songs.....Jesus Christ Pose, Head Down, Blow up Outside World. But yeah, inconsistent, I skip like half of each album the one time a year I pull them out.

superunknown could have done without the songs written by ben shepherd (head down, half). it would have been a perfect album without them imo. chris cornell is an incredibly talented singer/songwriter. i thought euphoria morning was excellent. it's too bad he's slumming it up with audioslave...