Sounds like???

thiagodollor

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2007
I believe we will always say that our bands sound like no other in the world. That's why I'm asking your help then I can say to someone else "Well, it sounds like ....." But please, take a full listen.

www.myspace.com/dollorspace

Guitars:

Quadtracked guitars, Soldano SLO Copy (Hand Made in Brazil), Ledur 7 strings neck-thru guitar (also Hand Made in Brazil), Seymour Duncan JB and Seymour Duncan 59. Line 6 4x12 cab. SM57 off-axis and Behriger B2 on-axis

Drums: DFH Samples but the drums where played, not programmed. Used the midi out from Drumagog to DFH and then processed the exported tracks. Overheads (Behringer B2) were set accordingly to the technique shown in the book Mixing with your Mind by Michael Paul Stavrou.

Bass: Aria Bass with EMG pickups. One DI track with some overdrive and one processed with Guitar Rig 2.0.

Vocals: SM 57 - Presonus Tubepre

Well, altough it would be great to have your opinions about the recording I'm mainly interested in your opinions about the music, that's why I didn't post this anywhere else.

Thanks.

is there a band already called badass? if so that's who I'd say it sounds like.

I'm sure my lenses are color-biased but my ears are telling me the following bands:
metallica
stone sour
mudvayne
soulfly/sepultura as brett mentioned
disturbed
super joint ritual
avenge sevenfold
I probably haven't helped much but I like this no matter who it sounds like
:headbang:

Thanks for the kind words... I hope they are not "The last kind words"... maybe I hope it would, you know what I mean. :headbang:
I'm glad that so many bands were mentioned as influences, it makes me think that we are not a copy of another band... Well, again thank you, and thank you for all the information and knowledge. :kickass:

funny thing about copying is, no one can ever do it right, so most end up sounding somewhat different anyway. but then there's also cases where the copycat bands do it better than the original, or at least put a cool spin on things.

sometimes I try to blatantly do a tune that sounds like an old devastation album or whatnot, but I find it really hard to nail someone else's vibe.

Yea i hear some Sepultura influence for sure in the vox!

Hey i got a question for ya....

How did you do that techno like thing in the song Safe about 26 seconds into it?

Well, I can't remember very well but I believe I cut a one bar long guitar chord into several 8th and 16th notes, maybe 32th notes, then I muted some of these events (that's how it's called in nuendo - events - don't know in pro tools), you can make different rythms using this technique, you can use a "sidechained" gate, a chopper or a midi gate (there's actually a plugin called Midi Gate in Nuendo/Cubase, there's also one, can't remember the name, that does both things at the same time, it has a resonance control and a mute or volume control that can be set accordingly to the notes duration you specify, very cool plugin).
I prefered to keep it simple and "manual". A filter, probably a LPF, was automated during that bar too... I hope I have helped, otherwise I can post a picture. Oh, don't forget to fade in and out each one of the events.