SOUTHERNERS TALK LIKE MORONS, COMPUTER PROVES x

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/17/offbeat.voice.ap/index.html

SHREVEPORT, Louisiana (AP) -- Southern drawls have thwarted voice recognition equipment used by the Shreveport Police Department to route non-emergency calls.

A switchover to a lower-tech, touch-tone system -- in which callers hear a voice recording they can respond to by pressing a different number for each division -- is scheduled for Monday, said spokeswoman Kacee Hargrave.

The voice-recognition system asked people to name the person or department they wanted. More often than not, the system just didn't understand, and they wound up at the wrong place, said Capt. John Dunn, who oversees police communications.

"In Louisiana, we have a problem with Southern drawl and what I call lazy mouth. Because of that, the system often doesn't recognize what [callers] say," he said.

I wonder how their research would work with people who have favorable racial prejudices. For example if they did the test on the fat white girls from my high school who only dated huge black men, would the fat white girls become smarter, or in other words do better on the tests, because of their favorable prejudices?

Would a pervy asian fetishist do better on the test if in the second version he was asked to associate positive words with names like Yuko and Mei-Lin?