Spankboy - Medication

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Spankboy - Medication
2001 - Stand Out Records
Reviewed by Philip Whitehouse

Get ready to skank everyone, because for the first time on Ultimate Metal, it's ska punk time!

Now, there's probably not that many people left actually reading this review by now... and those that are left are probably wondering what I'm doing reviewing a ska punk record when in the past I have gushed adoringly over releases by such luminaries of head-crushingly heaviness as Godflesh, Napalm Death, Nasum and so on. Well, you can't be angry all the time, can you? Every now and again, even a dedicated extreme-metalhead like me needs a bit of party music.

So, in come Salisbury ska-punk crew Spankboy. Unlike most of their contemporaries in the latest generation of ska-punkers, their knowledge and understanding of ska goes somewhat deeper than merely owning a couple of Less Than Jake records. Is that a kettle drum I hear in the background of a couple of the tracks?

This is a five track CD single, with four songs acting as B-sides for Medication itself. Odd, then, that personally I find fourth track 'No Regrets' to be the best of the bunch - with it's unusually metallic power-chord and drum-crash pre-chorus, disgustingly upbeat brass melody and near-scat lyrics, it's an irresistable ska-punk classic.

That's not to denigrate the quality of the other tracks, however - Medication itself is a fine track, if the most generic of the five on offer, while 'El Funnolini' sounds like someone left a tape recorder running at a ska party. A very funky bassline and rhythm build up to a brass crescendo while, in the background, bongs are hit and the partygoers clap, cheer and howl their appreciation.

Worth checking out if you're into the latest generation of ska-punk acts, or if you're merely vaguely aware of who Less Than Jake are and are wondering who else sounds like them.

8/10