speaker recommendation for 4x12"

alexrookie

Mar 13, 2004
hanover,germany
hey guys,

i'm selling the speakers of my 1960b cab and need new ones.
these g12t-75 are horrible and so the cab never got used, but i think the cab itself is well-built.the cab will just stay in my studio, no live usage.

i already own a 1x12" cab with a v30 in it and for the 4x12", i think that greenbacks could be the way to go for me.i'm searching for a nice balanced sound, not too modern (not too much low end) - but i don't need a thin vintage sound.

please give me an impression of what sound i will get with the greenbacks.
and what about a mix of v30's and greenbacks in one cab?
does anyone know these g12h30?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/celestion_g12h3016.htm

thanks for sharing your experiences!

best,
alex

im gnna do the 75ts and v30s in the x pattern, its a shame you are not liking your 75ts, ive had mine in for years and really dont mind them at all!!! as far as reccomendations try the celestion V30s, they are what most metal and rock bands use there these days. But then again you may want to try a completely different speaker manufacturer!! go out and have a play through a few different types of cabs see what suits you!!

these are the 75ts:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/bef7f6ee-ed48-4135-8021-fd830ae2f418/MetalcoreDemo-mix-3

What exactly you don't like about the T75s?
I guess it depends as well on the voicing of your amp, but to me they have really sweet character. They have more pronounced timbre compared to V30s which I find sounding more "neutral". A lot more "bite" in the 7k-10k range as well.
Check the Celestion website... they have typical frequency responses for the different models.
Greenbacks sound like in between V30 and T75...

ps. According to Celestion website, T75s are "greenbacks on steroids"

Nobody seems to like T75s anymore. I actually took the V30s OUT of one of my cabs and replaced it with T75s a few years ago. I still have another V30 cab though. The T75 just blasts the hell out of the V30s when you're standing in the room with a cranked cab. This all depends on the amp of course, as the results could easily sway towards the V30s in a different setup. It is a hell of a lot trickier to mic the 75 however, in my opinion. Regardless, some of the most amazing tones in metal history have been recorded with 75. Respect!

Has anyone tried this?

If I were to stick two V30's and two Greenbacks and record the cab, do the different elements affect the sound? If I mic the Greenback, will the V30 affect the sound?

And do they sound better live?

E: and please tell me more about the Heritage-series! Are they (or half of them) Greenback remakes? Sound worse/better?

What exactly you don't like about the T75s?
I guess it depends as well on the voicing of your amp, but to me they have really sweet character. They have more pronounced timbre compared to V30s which I find sounding more "neutral". A lot more "bite" in the 7k-10k range as well.
Check the Celestion website... they have typical frequency responses for the different models.
Greenbacks sound like in between V30 and T75...

ps. According to Celestion website, T75s are "greenbacks on steroids"

i find it very hard to record the t75s, never felt it sounded right - some kind of boring.as for the 'bite' in the 7-10k area: how much of the whole signal do you have in that frequencyrange?:rolleyes:

please keep in mind, that i am not a guitarist myself and the cab is for studio recording exclusively.
the last months i recorded an engl cab with v60's from one of my bands guitarist and in combination with a fireball, that tone is too modern sounding for me.
a lot of fizz in the highs and rumbling low end - but where are the mids?
it sounds ok in the room and when you play this setup it might feel right, but it doesn't sound right to me recorded.

in the last ten years of recording, i tracked a lot of different cabs, but never had a greenback equipped one.
what is the tone like with greenbacks - really a mix of v30's andt75's?

and what about the wattage:
4 greenbacks=100 watts
4 t75's = 300 watts

the greenbacks are moving harder with less volume, i guess that is something i am looking for.

thanks for sharing your researches so far, looking forward for more.:headbang:

^^^Yes, it's true that T75s sound quite different depending on the mic position, but that as well is an advantage, because you can access more different tones with a single speaker.

^As for the 7k-10k range you may have less than 5% of the signal, but that already changes quite a lot in a mix.
That thing about the wattage is not entirely true... The movement of the speaker is pretty much related to the sound pressure level (SPL) that you hear. The rated wattage is the maximum power the coils can handle, and the relation between the SPL and the wattage is given by the sensitivity of the speaker. Speaking of which, the sensitivity of T75 is "only" 97dB (compared to 100 dB for V30 and 98 dB fir the Greenback) meaning that they will sound "quieter" on the same amplifier settings, while sucking the same power out of it.
And finally, my Greenback experience is poor too, only from hearing it in cab shootout samples in this forum. I only had T75s and V30s in my cabs.

I have two marshall 4x12's a jcm800 with hellatone v30s and a classic greenback cab.
The greenback cab kills on just about everything. Sweet mids.
I record the V30 cab most of the time because my greenbacks are fragile and I don't want to blow them.
The vintage 30 came about because of this fragility, it is supposed to be a more robust version of the greenback, but to me the greenback sound considerably different.

The 800 cab originally had T-75s which now live in a peavey m/s cab.
That 7-10k bump is exactly what I don't like about 75's at least for downtuned stuff