Speaker Repair (%$^#@$%#!!!) and Eminence Wizard review.

black sugar

The Burninator
So I had a little incident last night swapping out some speakers:

There I was, minding my own business, mounting some speakers with a power drill like I've done a million times... Only a couple beers deep, I was quite taken aback when the drill slipped, and I ended up with a nifty drill bit sized hole in the cone, right where it meets the gasket. Balls, right?

Not really knowing what to do and kind of being under the gun to start practice, I just finished putting the cab back together and it sounded fine. But I'm pretty sure this is something that's going to deteriorate over time.

Is there any kind of adhesive or something I can patch it with?

I can't believe I haven't done this before over the years of constantly jacking with my setup.

Anyway, for the record, I think Eminence Wizards are pretty cool speakers, even with a small hole in the cone. In comparison to Vintage 30's, they're darker and a little bass heavy -- tight, but heavy. I think they'd probably be a good match for a solid state head or filling out a slightly top heavy rig.

After all that, I'm probably switching back to the V30's though. Anybody want to buy some "blem" Wizards?

You 'could' patch it with part of another cone, I've done that before when in a jam and it's turned out ok. A friend even managed to get a replacement when he told the manufacturer (Celestion in his case) that the speaker 'came like that', they must have heard it a million times off chancers but they still gave him a new one.

Use super glue, and a thin piece of card stock...apply it to the back side if possible. Worked for me once.

Can you place a soundfile with the wizard, I'm really interested in knowing how it sounds, even ripped... What kind of amp do you use, some more info about the wizard would be cool, thanx