Eminence and Celestion impulse pack (Alpha 1.0)

Without sounding like a complete n00b, (because this is my first post!) could someone please point me in the right direction as to the best way to use impulses in protools on osx?

On the FAQ, it just points to wikipedia, which explains more about what impulses are, not now to use them.

I was playing with it all last night, and what i did was, plug my Dean Razorback 255, into the first instrument input on my M-Audio Octane-pre (which is lightpipe to my project-mix i/o)

Then on the track in protools, i used sansamp plugin first, and dialed in a tone i kinda liked, then i put Mellowmuse IR1A (http://www.mellowmuse.com/IR1A.html *only using a demo at the moment*) after sansamp, and loaded the Celestion V30 impulse from above into it at 100% wet.

Sounded good for a first try, but i just wanted to confirm this kinda the right way to do it ?

I also have a Pod XT 3 Live, im not sure if i can use impulses with this in a better way than above?

Sorry to ask questions on this thread, feel free to just post me some links to read.

Many thanks!

Sounds right to me, and yes, you can use the X3 Live with impulses, just disable the internal cab simulation (select "no cab") - and while I second Hoehlentroll on searching, at least you knew how to get 'em working and were just wanting confirmation (rather than "I'M IGNORANT HALLPP!!!"), so props for that!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I made a second batch today, some more choices of mic positions:

Impulse Pack Alpha 1.1

This time around I used a 12 seconds sine wave as test tone as Wild Hades recommends in his tutorial (thanks, man!). I only made some imp's of one of the Celestion V30s - didn't have time to do the Eminences. I decided to use the lower right speaker this time (it was the upper left one for v1.0).

Please let me know if they are usable. Honestly, I do think that GuitarHack's impulses pee all over mine... :lol: So I find mine a bit redundant. Still, you can never have enough choices, so perhaps mine can be used for solos (I find they are quite mid heavy) or special fx or suchlike. :confused:

Anyone tried the new ones yet? :wave: I didn't have time to test them out properly yesterday. I was kind of unimpressed by them, but I have to fiddle some more. How do they fare with you?

Thanks for trying them out!

I feel I have been rather careless while cutting the impulse tails. This makes most of them sound swishy and not very good at all. So today I set to work again and made a couple of Eminence ones, which I feel sound GREAT! :)

This time I used 12 seconds of white noise, which I looped in my DAW. I monitored through a pair of closed headphones while moving the mic around, which allowed me to find the best-sounding (IMHO) position. When deconvolving, I also took care to just make a simple phase align and not turn on any other (unnecessary) features. Later, when cutting the tail of the impulse, I applied a short fade-out, which I think really made all the difference.

Enough with the talking, I feel these are really close to the real thing. Only two impulses, but this time it's quality over quantity. And that's why I felt it's time to go Beta. :p

CLIP1: EMG81 - Peavey Rockmaster Crunch - Eminence Centre impulse in KeFir 1.2

CLIP2: EMG81 - Peavey Rockmaster Crunch - Eminence Between impulse in KeFir 1.2

:loco: YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE TWO IMPULSES HERE :loco:

:hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump:

Thanks! I have two Russian Electro Harmonix 12AX7s in V1 and V2 and two JJ ECC83S-s in the other two slots. I found this combination by accident, but they do sound good together. I also tried the other way around (the two JJs in V1 and V2), but the Electro Harmonix in V1 and V2 are much better. They are warmer and a bit gainier than the JJs (if I am not mistaken the ECC83-S have about 10% less gain than the normal JJ ECC83). I would have gone all Electro Harmonix, but I only had 2 available. :lol:

I like this guitar sound. It's dry and in your face. :) I am a bit puzzled by the guitar panning though and also is there a comp on the 2nd bus? It might be squashing a bit too much. Oh, and thanks for posting, I like your clips a lot and your Testament one was pwnage! :)

yes, you are correct, I was going for a different sound here. And yupp, some compression on the 2bus, I forgot to adjust it, since there's no bass there, hence the pumping.
The panning is weird because I tried to go a different route but now that I relisten, I agree, it's a bit weird. Guitars could have some more highend too I guess...

But thanks for the IRs, really nice!

You're welcome + thanks again! I'll try and do some better ones soon. I am looking at improving my current technology of making them.

I think it's good to have some Governor IRs - they have their own thing going on. Not everyone might like the Governor sound that much but I dig it mightily. :)