Speaking of Carcass

Managed it once, the other two times they were supposed to come through the area, they cancelled or took farther away than I wanted to drive. They actually sounded pretty terrible the time I did see them (with Dying Fetus opening many years ago, who outperformed them quite a bit, sadly). I'll gladly go again if they show themselves about the area again.

New Destruction just suck so badly. The plastic-shit re-recording of their classics is a slap in the face of every fan of their early works.

New Destruction just suck so badly. The plastic-shit re-recording of their classics is a slap in the face of every fan of their early works.

Nah, that was pretty good, actually.

On the other hand, Sodom's Re-recording of In the Sign of Evil, is just pathetic. That was so fucking sad and unbearable to listen to. I don't think Grave Violator and Witchhunter have actually played their instruments in the last 10 years, but if they have, really didn't show on The Final Sign of Evil.

Totally agree. I was barely even able to recognize a lot of the songs, and a lot of it didn't really sound (production wise) so much clearer than the originals.
On the other hand, Sodom's Re-recording of In the Sign of Evil, is just pathetic. That was so fucking sad and unbearable to listen to. I don't think Grave Violator and Witchhunter have actually played their instruments in the last 10 years, but if they have, really didn't show on The Final Sign of Evil.
I love The Final Sign Of Evil. It wasn't meant to be an improvement on In The Sign Of Evil, just the true version of it. It was originally supposed to be an actual album, and all the songs on this re-recording were supposed to be on it, but there were problems with the label.
The musicianship was meant to be terrible this time. Tom's a pretty good bass player, but he was just as bad on this album, as he was in 84.
They basically had the same feeling, same conviction, same energy, even very similar recording techniques, as they did over 20 years ago. I feel that they did that legendary EP justice.

Totally agree. I was barely even able to recognize a lot of the songs, and a lot of it didn't really sound (production wise) so much clearer than the originals.

I love The Final Sign Of Evil. It wasn't meant to be an improvement on In The Sign Of Evil, just the true version of it. It was originally supposed to be an actual album, and all the songs on this re-recording were supposed to be on it, but there were problems with the label.
The musicianship was meant to be terrible this time. Tom's a pretty good bass player, but he was just as bad on this album, as he was in 84.
They basically had the same feeling, same conviction, same energy, even very similar recording techniques, as they did over 20 years ago. I feel that they did that legendary EP justice.

Yeah, gotta completely disagree with this entire post. :lol:

Everything about that re-recording was a travesty against the Original EP. Take Outbreak of Evil for instance. The drums on the original recording had this relentless pounding fury... the new one, they're just there. They don't do anything. The guitar tracks on the new version, so fucking dull and undynamic, classic version, a completely different feeling. The vocals as well, Tom's vocals just sound like he's not even trying. We heard on the 2006 S/T that he can still rasp so great that demons rise from the ground, but on Final Sign, its just not there.

Exactly. "The Final Sign Of Evil" is supposed to sound kinda crappy. They recorded it in a tiny (home)studio and had only one day for mixing. I also think they did a reasonable good job on it. But I have my doubts that Witchhunter played on the whole record. ;) He was also supposed to show up at Wacken but he didn't. Sadly, he's just a pretty fucked up alcoholic these days.

Edit: Post a bit too late...

And btw. referring to that Destruction disaster: I just can't stand Peter Tägtgren's productions. IMO he ruined a lot records, that could have been much better. Fortunately Celtic Frost just pulled the plug on him before it was too late.

Exactly. "The Final Sign Of Evil" is supposed to sound kinda crappy. They recorded it in a tiny (home)studio and had only one day for mixing. I also think they did a reasonable good job on it. But I have my doubts that Witchhunter played on the whole record. ;) He was also supposed to show up at Wacken but he didn't. Sadly, he's just a pretty fucked up alcoholic these days.

He's been a fucked up alcoholic for years, thats why Tom kicked him out. He got sick of his boozing, being too drunk to play shows, and honestly, I think he was too drunk to record a decent drumline for this album.

I await Sodom's next original studio album, regardless. The S/T was completely filled with awesome, so I expect Tom to have some more tricks up his sleeve.

I love the echoing, growling quality to his voice. It sounds so much more visceral and sinister.
The drums are pretty enjoyable. I mean, they're terribly played and very basic, but they're very catchy. I also love the guitars here. They sound a little darker than before, and the riffs are still catchy as hell.
Some of the new songs (especially Sin Of Sodom) were just as good, if not better, than some of the original ones from the EP.

I'm not saying that this is a supplement for In The Sign Of Evil, obviously. That's an essential EP for any metal collection.

Edit: Post a bit too late...

And btw. referring to that Destruction disaster: I just can't stand Peter Tägtgren's productions. IMO he ruined a lot records, that could have been much better. Fortunately Celtic Frost just pulled the plug on him before it was too late.

Peter's not THAT bad. He's got a lot of great albums under his production belt, though I will say that yeah, he'd got some real trash (Celtic Frost - Monotheist, Immortal - Damned In Black to name the 2 main trash albums he's worked on). Some bands work with him at the helm, some don't.

Speaking of which, with Immortal writing a new album after their last 2 fest appearances this year, I really hope they go to someone else. He hasn't been the greatest with Immortal.

Speaking of which, with Immortal writing a new album after their last 2 fest appearances this year, I really hope they go to someone else. He hasn't been the greatest with Immortal.

But they'll most likely work with him. :rolleyes:

I can't picture Immortal going back to an oldschool sound. Maybe they should try working with Steven Wilson or Andy Sneap. :lol:

But they'll most likely work with him. :rolleyes:

I can't picture Immortal going back to an oldschool sound. Maybe they should try working with Steven Wilson or Andy Sneap. :lol:

Well... Abbath has made comments that he wants to go back to the mindset of Blizzard Beasts, and do the continuation afterwards all over again. Peter took over producing their albums AFTER blizzard beasts, so it would be logical to tell him to fuck off.

So logically the route would be to go back to Eirik Hundvin. Which would be awesome, because everything under his belt is pure fucking GOLD. EVERYTHING.

Of course, since they're still under contract with Nuclear Blast, who the fuck knows whats gonna happen.

Well, we just gotta wait and see. Maybe the songs will once again speak for themselves so the production will be only a side note. Having my doubts here but thinking positively. ;)

BTT: A friend of mine said melo-carcass suck major dick. :lol: I don't think it's that bad, but it's most likely that the setlist will be focused on "Heartwork". I hope they'll do some other festivals than Wacken here, too. Wacken has just become such a pain in the ass in the last years. But if Forbidden are going to show up there too, I'd consider going there.

I'm hoping Carcass does Metal Camp. Been looking into it, and Metal Camp is my best option for a euro-fest next year, so I am really trying to get this off the ground.

Yeah, Metal Camp is quite nice. Haven't been there myself, but people I know said it's pretty cool because it's a lot cheaper and not so extremely overrun like Wacken. Plus it's a nice beach location.

But if Forbidden are going to show up there too, I'd consider going there.
Well, they did reunite to play some shows. So you can be certain they would be there.

I wonder when At The Gates will announce their appearance at Wacken. Maybe Dark Angel will too