Spectrum Analyser for Multiple Tracks to show clashes?

schismatic

Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
Does a frequency analyser (or even an EQ) exist is able to graphically show you a number of tracks fed to it at the same time?

The concept would be for example that it could simultaneously analyse multiple tracks being sent to it (e.g. a guitar buss, a bass buss, drum buss etc), and be able to show you which main areas of the frequency spectrum each track was taking up?

This would help me very quickly to see where I have frequency clashes between instruments in order for me to help carve out space for each one.

Yes it would be graphical, and yes I would still need to use my ears, but I could find use in something like this nonetheless.

Does something like this exist?

Check out Schwa's Schope.

Mix with your ears, not your eyes...blah blah blah

something like multifreek?

multifreekgif.gif

There's a transparency filter on the Blue Cat analyzer plug where you can overlay different instances of the plugin on top of each other to compare them.

There's one very cool feature in FL Studio (dunno if it's in other daws too). It's "Selected" insert. It's basically a track with no outputs and it is feeded with the output of track you have currently selected. I usually open there FFT analyzer and big RMS meter (peak meters on on each track, so no need to have them twice) and stereoscope/vectroscope.
This way I can easily toggle FFT analysis of all tracks (and busses and also masterbus) simply by clicking on them.

I hope this video makes it more clear:

Last edited by a moderator: