Sending tracks to a pressing plant - help!

onetruth

Apr 21, 2006
Worcester, UK
www.myspace.com
hey guys!

i'm just finishing a mix which needs to go to straight to a manufacturer to be pressed onto 7" vinyl. This is the first commercial release I've mixed and mastered so I'm a bit green when it comes to redbook mastering, embedding ISRC codes etc. This is the email I've got from the manufacturer:

MASTERING & SUBMITTING YOUR AUDIO FILES
Incomplete, incorrect, or illegible audio files will result in production delays, and possibly poor presentation of final product.
Have your Vinyl Mastered by a Professional Mastering Studio. Please instruct them to follow our “TECHNICAL AUDIO
SPECIFICATIONS” available on the “ORDERING” page on our website at www.PiratesPress.com.
• WAV or AIFF FILES ONLY. HIGH RESOLUTION 24 BIT WAV files are PREFFERED.
• MP3, M4A, and CDA files are NOT ACCEPTED.
• SAVE your files as SINGLE ARCHIVES (.zip or .sit) named only with your CATALOG NUMBER and the word MASTER (ex. PPR023_MASTER.zip).
• ALL AUDIO FILES should SUBMITTED on (REDBOOK) CD MASTERS
OR should be UPLOADED through our WEB-BASED UPLOAD APPLICATION

I've found a few older threads regarding using wavelab to create redbook masters but after reading the points above, it seems like the manufaturer will allow 24bit wav files to be uploaded direct to them over the internet. so does that mean I don't need to use a program like wavelab? Can I just master the tracks in my sequencer as I normally do and then upload them?

Also, I don't get the bit about single archives. Do they expect me to put all 4 tracks into 1 zip file named as per their suggestion, catalog number_master ? or do they want each track put into seperate zips?

the label have specifically asked if I can embed ISRC codes into the tracks....anyone know how easy this is and/whether I actually need to do this or whether the manufacturer would do it?

Any help from any of the forum regulars who have had plenty of experience sending tracks to pressing plants for commercial release would be most welcome indeed!

many thanks in advance!
Jim

There are some things I don't get too and I'm curious to know more about that. For example, it seems it has to send a CD, not files via Internet. Also, for a redbook, it's just the WAV files burned on a CD-R (audio)? I used to do poor "mastering" for friends but in PT, then burn with iTunes. I wonder if it can be ok for pressing....

There are some things I don't get too and I'm curious to know more about that. For example, it seems it has to send a CD, not files via Internet. Also, for a redbook, it's just the WAV files burned on a CD-R (audio)? I used to do poor "mastering" for friends but in PT, then burn with iTunes. I wonder if it can be ok for pressing....

It isn't ok for pressing. You can read up on it here: :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(CD_standard)