Spiffy's comments on Visions of the Beast

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Got it in the post today - hurrah! Haven't watched it all, just the videos I hadn't seen before. Comments:

Man on the Edge: Well, this isn't the Man on the Edge video I had seen previously, but a different, epilepsy-inducing effort from the guy who co-directed the Be Quick Or Be Dead video. Very dark, very fast-paced video, quite good actually except for the extremely dodgy footage of men on - yep! - the edge of buildings falling - yep! - down. I think I prefer the original one shot on location in Israel.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers: A live one with Blaze, but you'd be forgiven you'd accidentally stumbled on a History Channel doco about the Gulf War. It's all planes and guns and bombs and missiles and desert and Middle Eastern chaps, with a bit of live footage thrown in.

Lord of the Flies: This isn't bad. Another live one with footage of the fellas walking around looking bored in (I assume) Israel. Aerial footage of them shooting the original Man on the Edge video is included.

Virus: Awful, awful video. Dreadful. Make sure you take your motion sickness pills beforehand. I didn't finish watching this one because it's just... urgh. Close up footage of the guys (and I mean CLOSE UP), including Dave singing to the camera and Nicko looking moody. Dodgy with a capital D.

The Angel and the Gambler: Fun video, except for the much-too-loud sound effects, iffy CGI animation and the song itself being cut to pieces... is this shorter than the radio edit? Eddie crashes and smashes things at the end like he's Godzilla or something.

Futureal: The on-screen debut of Blaze's baseball cap! Considering how thin his hair is in previous videos it's surprising it took him this long to fish it out from the Lifeline bin, but here it is. Not a bad video, typical of Steve's efforts in that it's serviceable but nothing special, and that if there was no sound then you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from everything else he's done.

Out of the Silent Planet: Great song with a dud video. It's obvious that they only included this in their setlist a handful of times (if that) because there's no actual footage of Bruce actually singing it. Not that I can recall, anyway, because I didn't watch the whole thing.

Didn't watch any of the Camp Chaos videos yet.

Not that I'm aware of, no, but it might be an easter egg or something. It's available on one of the Angel & the Gambler singles though (which is where I saw it).

Well, he's a dirty rotten liar, he is. The live Run to the Hills one from LAD isn't there either, nor is the live Running Free one from LAD (although I can't actually remember if they actually released the video for that single).

OK, found one of the easter eggs (courtesy of the nice folks over at Maiden Central) - an alternate video for Man on the Edge! It's just footage from lots of slapstick comedies from the silent era (Chaplin, etc) featuring people - yep! - falling down. Neat! No footage of the band, and the picture quality is quite dreadful. :) Something tells me they may have put it together with plans of splicing in footage of the band but didn't bother, although I may be wrong.

STILL no sign of the Israel version of MOTE. :mad: