Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe

IcemanJ256

Dark Overlord
Apr 28, 2002
Dayton, Ohio, USA
www.amazon.com
Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe[4/5 stars]
Chaotic Technical Metal
This CD will take a while to get into if you don't know what to expect. But if you're a fan of Death, Atheist, Cynic, or other Technical Death Metal, you probably will. (Although this isn't death metal, it's just technical metal, no growls) There are odd time signatures showered through the album and songs go in unpredictable directions, not to mention probably the best and fastest bass playing I've ever heard. The drums are very good too. On first few listens you might really hate the vocalist, but I like the awkwardness of his singing. However, he doesn't really sing with much emotion at all. There are many good melodies going on, its not just a crazy mess of instruments. The band has excellent musicianship but does not just "show off" what they can do, and crystal clear production for a debut album. They sometimes fool around with middle-eastern style riffs especially in "Cloud Constructer" and "Insect". Most would agree that "Insect" is the best song here, it is the first song I heard by the band and still the best. I almost faint every time I hear it. It is just brilliant. Overall the Lyrics are pretty good too, especially in "Conjuring Collapse." This CD could also be better if it had more diversity. Some of the songs sound too much the same and there isnt too much variety. Listen to this with an open mind, it's a very challenging album to appreciate.

Originality: 7
Creativity: 8
Organization/Structure: 9
Diversity: 4
Emotion: 4
Guitar Work: 9
Bass Work: 10
Drum Work: 7
Vocals: 6
Lyrics: 8
Production: 9
Musicianship: 10

This album is killer, I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. I don't think it lacks diversity at all. Its only 44 minutes long so they don't need to do a bunch or weird stuff, maybe if it was 60 minutes like many bands are trying to do today. Anyway, not only are they great on CD, but they put on a nice set at last years Prog Power Fest down in Atlanta. My question is where is the followup? This album was recorded more then 3 years ago, we need some new mind challeging brillance!!