Spiritual Beggars Joined By Firewind Singer

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
This could be very interesting!! The sample sounds fucking great!!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141177

http://www.myspace.com/spiritualbeggars (NEW SONG SAMPLE)

SPIRITUAL BEGGARS, the Swedish band featuring ARCH ENEMY guitarist Michael Amott and bassist Sharlee D'Angelo, has parted ways with vocalist Janne "J.B." Christoffersson (GRAND MAGUS) and has replaced him with Apollo Papathanasio (FIREWIND).

Commented Amott: "This will be a surprise to most of you, but it's been mutually decided for some time now that J.B. would step down from his role as the singer in SPIRITUAL BEGGARS to focus on his own band.

"We had a fantastic time working with J.B. We remain great friends and we wish him the best of luck!

"We decided to make a new SPIRITUAL BEGGARS record and to find a new voice — and we found a killer singer that lives in our hometown. Some of you will already be familiar with him as a singer in the Greek metal band FIREWIND.

"We've had a blast in the studio and it's been highly satisfying on a creative level.

"We have already confirmed some shows in Japan later in the year and we are in the process of booking more concerts around the world.

"We are looking forward to getting the new music out to the fans and playing LIVE again"

A short sample of new song featuring Apollo Papathanasio on vocals is available now at the SPIRITUAL BEGGARS official MySpace page.

SPIRITUAL BEGGARS 2010 is:

Michael Amott (ARCH ENEMY, CARCASS) - Guitar
Ludwig Witt (FIREBIRD) - Drums
Per Wiberg (OPETH) - Keyboards
Sharlee D'Angelo (ARCH ENEMY, MERCYFUL FATE) - Bass
Apollo Papathanasio (FIREWIND) - Vocals

SPIRITUAL BEGGARS is currently mixing its first new studio album in five years for a late summer/early fall 2010 release. The CD was recorded at Sweetspot Studio with producer Rickard Bengtsson.

The band previously stated about the new effort, "We used a lot of vintage equipment in this process and we got some really amazing tones.

"To describe the music itself, we feel the songs are strong and melodic with a lot of '70s and early '80s hard rock atmosphere…

"If you are a fan of our albums 'On Fire' and 'Demons', we are pretty sure you will also enjoy this next chapter…"

Love this band, but lost touch. Apollo could definitely be a great fit. Looking forward to hearing how this turns out. Thanks for the update.

To me Apollo fits in Beggars as Miley Cyrus would fit in Motörhead...

Nothing against Apollo but this is devastating. One of the biggest Beggars fans on the planet here and I'm dying right now.

I must admit that I just checked their myspace and their music for the first time. I don't think I knew about the band beforehand, at least I can't remember. Can you guys (perhaps you, johan68) recommend one or two albums for me to start with?

This just doesn't sound right. I love Apollo in Firewind but I think the big Firewind-like melodies will be gone when in SB. They should get Spice back.

I totally agree...I'm a Spice era fan of Spiritual Beggars. Ad Astra is one of my favorite CD's of all time. I have worn that sucker out...as well as Spice's other band The Mushroom River Band (Simsalabim is the shit!).

While I do enjoy Apollo's work with Firewind, Meduza, Evil Masquerade, etc....I too find it to be an odd fit. But, being an Amott fan boy, I will most certainly be purchasing it. :worship:

I must admit that I just checked their myspace and their music for the first time. I don't think I knew about the band beforehand, at least I can't remember. Can you guys (perhaps you, johan68) recommend one or two albums for me to start with?

Well, I do like all of them but I would probably recommend "On Fire" or "Demons" as a first purchase. Ad Astra is an incredible album as well.
The first three (S/T, Mantra III, Another Way to Shine) are a little on the "stoner" & "psych" side and maybe not so easy to warm up to for the beginner.

Their first singer was Kryddan or "Spice" as they call him over here. Great singer but IMO not as good as JB (of Grand Magus).

Good luck in investigating this phenomenal band. I am fortunate enough to have grown up in the same town (Halmstad) as Amott and Witt and have had the pleasure in seeing Spiritual Beggars live several times.
I do consider myself as one of the original "Begheads" :lol:

Well, I do like all of them but I would probably recommend "On Fire" or "Demons" as a first purchase. Ad Astra is an incredible album as well.
The first three (S/T, Mantra III, Another Way to Shine) are a little on the "stoner" & "psych" side and maybe not so easy to warm up to for the beginner.

Their first singer was Kryddan or "Spice" as they call him over here. Great singer but IMO not as good as JB (of Grand Magus).

Good luck in investigating this phenomenal band. I am fortunate enough to have grown up in the same town (Halmstad) as Amott and Witt and have had the pleasure in seeing Spiritual Beggars live several times.
I do consider myself as one of the original "Begheads" :lol:

Thank you very much. I will check these out as soon as I have the chance.