In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
SpiRitual - Pulse
Sensory Dark - SR3032 - August 22, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
cover7810_36059.jpg

Goth metal and world music come together as a great couple in SpiRitual's first release, Pulse. Created by Stefan Hertrich (Darkseed, Betray My Secrets, Shiva in Exile), the songs on Pulse explore a wide range of human emotions inspired by the studies of German anthropologist, Christian Rätsch. This 'ethno metal' project features musicians from all over the world who incorporate vocal styles from Russia, India, and Native Americans, as well as flutes and percussion of Columbia. Take all of that and mix it with some German goth metal and you get a unique listening experience.

Hertrich has put the best song first: 'This Battle is Yours'. The smooth female vocals of the Indian sound flowing underneath the brutal growls is one of the coolest things I’ve ever heard in metal. Thankfully, he incorporates that in almost every song. 'Symphony of Life' showcases mostly metal, with the ethno atmosphere just floating in the background. He lets that step forward much more from here on out. In the lengthy title track, the two genres pass the baton back and forth with smooth transitions from slow trance to brutality.

There are two songs dedicated to the world side, consisting of only tribal flutes, drums, and a female singing in some unknown language. Only the most open-minded of metal heads will keep from hitting the skip button. Though I suppose only open-minded metal heads would even consider this album. But taking something we're used to, like goth metal, and adding something new to make it a completely different entity is an incredible undertaking that Stefan Hertrich has a natural ability to create. "The only purpose of this CD is to energize and to emotionally shake things up in a positive way," Hertrich says about Pulse, "even if this album is my most aggressive one so far. An aggression that should be enjoyed with a smile, not with an imaginary fist."

8.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

SpiRitual Official Website
Sensory Dark Official Website