Spitfire - The Slideshow Whiplash Ep

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
SPITFIRE - THE SLIDESHOW WHIPLASH EP
Goodfellow Records - 2001
by James O'Toole

Spitfire are a four piece band from Virginia Beach, signed to Canadian independent label Goodfellow Records. Spitfire play a mish mash of grind, hardcore, emo, jazz and noise. When done well this kind of stuff can be interesting, original and entertaining. When done badly it can be rubbish and it is often a very fine line between the two.

First track on this four song EP is the rather interestingly titled This Ain't Vegas And You Ain't Elvis, which starts with a double speed high pitched guitar and vocal intro before dropping into a heavy, looping guitar riff. Then it slows again into a guitar part which sounds slightly reminiscent of Far Beyond Driven era Pantera, accompanied by screaming vocals.

Second song Bulletproof And Tall As Jesus is somewhat more listenable, with some tight guitar and drum work. Again the vocalist sounds as if he is about to burst a blood vessel. I did like the second half of this track, where a tribal drum feel is thrown in toward the end of the song.

The Slideshow Whiplash begins with a jazzy beat and features only drums and a warm piano which sounds curiously out of place after the mayhem of the first two tracks. I kept expecting a barrage of grindcore riffs to break in at any moment and sure enough final track Heroin starts fading in over the tail end of this song and does indeed kick into a
grinding guitar riff.

This final track in particular reminded me of Glassjaw. The chorus has some promise but is ruined by a very ordinary vocal effort. This is the only song on the EP where the vocalist attempts to sing rather than scream, but unfortunately he sounds a little like Joe Strummer with a swollen tongue. That is the main problem with Spitfire. The band can play and there are some interesting parts on this EP, but all too often the vocals are so one dimensional they sabotage any potential the songs may have.

As mentioned earlier, the closest comparison I could draw to Spitfire would be Roadrunner act Glassjaw. Spitfire fail to match Glassjaw's sense of melody however and the vocals aren't varied enough to make these songs really work.

Only recommended for people who enjoy music that chops and changes without much direction. If you like noise and grindcore and aren't particularly bothered by lack of melody and structure you might like this. Otherwise steer well clear.

5/10