Splitters for live recording

U

unclefu

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a live recording system. I've got a Zoom R16 (can run from battery), which can record 8 tracks simultaneously. Let's assume 8 tracks is enough, it's a whole other story than what I'm about to ask :D I wanted to get splitters to use for example on the vocal mics, so it goes to the R16 as well as the local mixer. But I was told, that for that I don't need splitters, simple Y-cables are enough, what do you think? And what's the science behind it all? I believe it plays an important part that the R16 can run from battery. Of course this applies to other mics, that go to the local mixer, such as kick, snare, as well as overhead mics (phantom power supplied from the R16).

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure I understand your question.

I take it that you are using the "local mixer" to sum certain tracks and then send those to the Zoom?

Why are you splitting the signals in the first place? Why not go straight to the Zoom?

Having trouble understanding what you are asking.

Are you trying to record whats going to the house mixer?

If so just use direct outs on mixer to the recording device. If the mixer does not have direct outs use the inserts by only inserting the jack halfway so it just sends.

I'd rather use a splitter than be subject to the FOH board when possible. Art and whirlwhind have some cheapish ones. You can use straight Y cables but with phantom you are potentially running phantom out of one board and into another which is a big no-no. In that scenario you want a transformer spit. Alternatively you can put an iso transformer in line between the Y and one of the devices. With a battery powered device on one end you shouldn't need to worry about ground hum which is nice.

edit: actually though, with 8 ins you'll almost certainly need a submix from a board no matter what. I'd probably focus on upgrading your recording gear before dropping significant money on a splitter.

Some Bands use a y-splitcore to split the signals to foh and to their monitoring rig. usually it works fine without hum etc. and also sending +48V from one board didn't cause me any problems so far.

I'm running three ART S8 for a 24 track recording rig I built and I can recommend them. They are cheap and do the job and if you're on a tight budget it's a good choice.

Y-cables CAN work but to avoid problems I really recommend using splitters. Make sure to get a good XLR snake as well to feed the stage box. If you want to stay friends with the staff, give them the direct output from the splitters and use the isolated ones for recording.

8 channels won't get you far but it's a start. You'll have to be very selective on which mics to include. A small mixer to sub-mix the toms for example might be a good addition.

If you get more into it, expand to another recording device and offer bands to record their gigs for a fee. It's a nice service that will interest many bands.

As for going out of the FOH board, I'd only do that if I'm also running FOH and only if I absolutely must. If the FOH tech adjusts input gain or eq (mostly but not always) during the set, it's gonna go to your recording. Gates may be set wrong, bad compression, etc. You best steer clear of that if you want to avoid a ruined recording.

ART S8 is used in our live room to split signals between the live monitor PA and the control room. Been working well++

What about using Y-cables and putting capacitors in the way for those channels with phantom power?

If you have the expertise, you could build a mux yourself. If you do not have the electronics experience/expertise, there is not much that anyone is going to be able to explain on the forum that will lead you through the process . No offense, just saying.

I suppose you could just try your Y cable idea and see how it sounds on the desk. If its good enough for you, then win. If not and you need to send two good quality signals out, then a dedicated mux/splitter is the way to go.

The only time I will use a Y cable is as insert. The artifacts from impedance issues are not something that I want to try to polish later.

Although I have rudimentary electronics rework skills, I will not monkey with my signal path; I prefer it to be what the manufacturer intended so that at least I have consistency from chan to chan.

good luck !