2 mics drum recording for demo

RandomOne

Dec 28, 2010
nowhere
So hello,

I'm about to record my band a live demo, but I can't move my equipment to the drummer's basement. He has a small mixer with 4 mic preamps, so I though:

2x Vocal Mics
2x Drum Mics
Guitar Direct from the Pod.
Bass Direct from the amp.

But I'm not really sure what technique is best for recording drums with 2 mics in a basement, while the amps are like 2m away from the drums.
What do you suggest?

I'd use all 4 mics on the drums. I know you said live recording....but it'd benefit a lot from getting a better drum sound off the bat.

I'd use all 4 mics on the drums. I know you said live recording....but it'd benefit a lot from getting a better drum sound off the bat.

Yes, but after that no mics left for vocals.

I'll probably use the recorderman technique I just found.

It seems to work pretty decent.

I was just going to suggest using the recoderman, or do more researching there are a bunch of different overhead techniques used to pick up an entire drum sound. Obviously it has a more open feel then modern metal stuff though. Are you going to be mixing the demo at least in a DAW or something after its recorded? ... in which case i would DI both the bass and guitar instead of right from the amp or pod.

Are you going to be mixing the demo at least in a DAW or something after its recorded? ... in which case i would DI both the bass and guitar instead of right from the amp or pod.

I'm going to record separately the left and the right output of the mixer.
In the left it will be everything except the vocals, and in the right the vocals.
I will mix them and master them together in a DAW, but the recordings aren't going to be multi-tracked.

Do the vocals after the drums are recorded!! IF you have the time, that is.

Ah, that's a good idea but I want it to be 100% live.

--

Well, and ofcource I'm not looking for the very best sound, but I want it to be decent enough for someone to be able to hear it.

The only time I've really had good luck doing live recording with my band is when we had everything mic'd up in the jam space. Be sure to HP just about everything to clean up the sound a bunch. It's just so hard to get 1 person to play perfectly for an entire take, let alone a whole band together. One person messes up, everyones gotta start over.

Honestly, from someone who has been there... it's going to sound like shit no matter which way you approach it, given the circumstances. I know that's not very helpful but it's the truth. Worst thing you can do is expect to capture a decent recording.

i the recorderman tech sounds fucking awesome from the audio I've heard. Never tried it because I never really have had the need to.... YET..... great imaging and more importantly phase is basically a non-issue to a degree..

is the recordmen technique considered as a stereo one?
if yes, 1x overhead and 1x kick will work just fine.

what if i have 3 mics available?
overhead, snare, kick?

Yeah with the Recorder man technique I believe you are supposed to do some unconventional panning, I can't quite remember exactly but it's mean to be a stereo technique of sorts, certainly not meant to sound mono.

With 3 mics and summing to mono that is what I would do for sure!

Yeah with the Recorder man technique I believe you are supposed to do some unconventional panning, I can't quite remember exactly but it's mean to be a stereo technique of sorts, certainly not meant to sound mono.

With 3 mics and summing to mono that is what I would do for sure!

One of the mics are panned hard l/r and the other one is panned about 50ish% opposite