cheap mics for close-micing guitar amps?

xAzagthothx

likes jambands, too
Sep 8, 2009
So, what is there out there besides SM57's that are really good for micing guitar/bass amps? And would the same mics be good for drums?

sorry, i'm just mad new to recording stuff... i'm building up a small rig for band rehearsals to make quality demoes without having to go into a recording studio but still be able to make something better than a single room mic with a computer.

You can try the ES57. Apparently just as good IF NOT better than the shure. I'm going to buy one next paycheck and check it out.

Yep. It's not like a 57 is very expensive, and if anything really compared to it you'd probably have heard about it by now. Also, 57 is a great mic on snare... so you're getting a mic thats good on drums just like you asked.

You can try the ES57. Apparently just as good IF NOT better than the shure. I'm going to buy one next paycheck and check it out.

+1...... BUT like everyone says, just get a 57. Save up the extra couple of bucks, you WILL NOT regret it.

Ever.

The ES57s are great to have around for extra tom mics, etc. but get yourself at least 1-2 SM57s to have in the arsenal.

^^ a legit sm57 is around £80. I got a good deal on mine because my order for some of my gear around a year ago came in at around £6000, so I got 57s for about £50 each. There's a huge thing going down with illegal immitations of 57s, especially on ebay and from independant music dealers. I bought from Digital Village and they've confirmed they buy from Shure distributors.

You're right though, they're inexpensive considering how versatile they are but you'd never find 3 genuine 57s for 79.99.

EDIT: Just read back through, I think the dude talking about that crazy deal is talking about ES57s, in which case I would say buy SM57s